Experimental Floatplane

willedoo

This experimental plane, the Fabre Hydravion or Le Canard is supposed to be the first seaplane to do a water take off under it's own power.

It has a Gnome Omega 7 cylinder engine driving a push propeller with a monoplane wing at the rear. At the front it has unequal length biplane surfaces as a stabilizer and elevator.

[ATTACH=full]1297[/ATTACH]

Designed and flown by French designer, Henri Fabre, the first flight was on 28th March, 1910, for a distance of almost 500 metres, altitude of 2 meters or so.. It's been said that he had no flying experience before that day. It looks dangerous, but he lived to 101 years of age.

[ATTACH=full]1298[/ATTACH]

It performed a few more flights before being damaged during landing in 1911 and wasn't flown again.

[ATTACH=full]1299[/ATTACH]

Le Canard survived and is on display at the airport at Marseilles.

[ATTACH=full]1301[/ATTACH]

Here's a pic of a Gnome Omega at the RAF museum.

[ATTACH=full]1300[/ATTACH]

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]18239[/ATTACH]

fabre.thumb.jpg.f0e375aabc4265c6c20cf30ede3f98b2.jpg

Marseilles : now that's interesting, 'cause here's what's in the Le Bourget aviation museum.

(or it was in 2007, anyway...)

I wonder which one is the replica![ATTACH=full]1302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1303[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18240[/ATTACH]

IMG_6307a.jpg.91cf863a79d288e08979b16ee3199e88.jpg

Checked out a Marseilles-Provence Airport guide & they call theirs a replica. One fairly old reference I found puts the original at Chalais-Meudon, but a lot of stuff was moved from there to Le Bourget from what I can gather, so it must be the real one at the museum.

Cheers, Willie.