Alan Stretton

willedoo

It was on the news tonight that Major General Alan Stretton passed away on friday night at the age of 90.

He was one of the few Australians to rise from the ranks to become a general officer, having enlisted as a private in 1940. He went on to officer training and in 1945, fought at Balikpapan as a lieutenant in the 2/9th. Battalion, AIF.

His appointments included Commanding Officer Australian Battalion, Malaya (1961-63); Chief of Staff, Australian Force, Vietnam (1969-70); and Member of the Australian National Intelligence Committee (1972-74). He was also Commander, Darwin Relief Operation, following Cyclone Tracy.

I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Alan Stretton a few years ago in Brisbane at the final 2/9th. Battalion Association reunion, where he was the guest speaker. He was a very entertaining and dignified speaker, and a true gentleman. After the speeches, he went around to everyone in the room, one by one, introducing himself, shaking hands and having a bit of a yarn. I'd guess with his personality that he would have been well liked by those under his command, and with his appearance, height, and general manner, I couldn't help but notice the similarity to Weary Dunlop. He was a good man, and served his country in a long and distinguished career.

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH=full]1408[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18277[/ATTACH]

565007380_alanstretton.jpg.0d399570d9e069062d2d29adf9f98ca8.jpg

Thanks Willie - I'm sure I'm only one among others here who are grateful for your spotting items such as this - and others, and bringing them to our attention.

*...and having just looked up Wikipedia's entry on the man, what do I find but this(!)

"In August 2004 he publicly criticised the Australian Government's policy of involvement with the 2003 invasion of Iraq, in an open letter in which he stated: "The alleged connection between Saddam Hussein and al-Qa'ida is ludicrous."

Guest Michael Coates

"The alleged connection between Saddam Hussein and al-Qa'ida is ludicrous."

Never let the truth get in the way of a good invasion.