Guess Where ??

Guest David C

Guest David C

Here is a bit of a puzzler , maybe harder for some than others .. Can you locate this shot ?? .. It is overhead Australia ,taken recently during one of my flights ..

Dave C

Tracked it down, Dave, basically by cheating. Had a whip around the coast on google maps, which is an interesting journey in itself. It's not where I first thought it was, though.

Cheers, Willie.

Guest Michael Coates

okay, let me try and do a bit of investigation to get a closer.... is the logo on the wing tip from Emirates airlines or Ethiad ?? knowing this you could probably work out the route and be a bit closer at guessing. To spend days going through Google maps is cheating.... we can see the area looks fairly flat, there is a lot of sand dune activity, there looks to be an archipelago just under the wing tip with some scattered islands, there is obvious land development underneath the inboard wing where there is a dam as well as roads and cultivation so it is bound to be in the area which is partially populated. I am pretty certain it is not between Wollongong and Mackay otherwise I would be embarrassed if I did not recognise it.

Michael, the logo looks to be Etihad, and you're right, it's not between Wolongong and Mackay. The first place I looked (when I was cheating) was up the Qld. coast. The sand looks very Queensland, but couldn't remember that shape from anywhere on the Qld. coast..

Cheers, Willie.

Guest David C

I can reveal , the logo is Etihad .. I do recall looking down and thinking what a great area and one I would like to explore sometime .. Keep up the good work guys ..

Dave C

Guest David C

Hi ya Darren ... Here are the clues .. The flight was the EY454 on the 3 Oct 12 .. from my memory , I think we were at about FL370 ..

Dave C

Guest David C

Michael ... All I can say is that you are no where near ... This particular flight does not route via SIN , so peering out of the window on Friday will be of no use . Have a good time in Germany , or wherever your final destination is , and take plenty of Winter woolies ! ...

Dave C

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David C

Willie .. I would think that there are lots of people on here who have flown over that area , but perhaps their eyes were elsewhere .. I will reveal .. It is North of Coffin Bay in SA , and NW of Port Lincoln .... It's area of many overflights , from the East Coast to WA and also from the Middle East to Sydney , Melbourne and Adelaide ..

Dave C

Guest just Mal

The topmost is Point Whidbey and the lower is Point sir Isaac of the Coffin Bay Peninsula.

The entire peninsula is part of the Coffin Bay National Park.

The Bay at the top is called Avoid Bay. -There be Dragons I guess!

Guest David C

Yes well we best avoid those dragons hey ;)..... Thanks Mal for that comprehensive breakdown of the shot ... A lovely part of the World ..

Dave C

Guest aviatrix27

now if it had been NE of Port Lincoln, or further west, I would definitely have flown over it. Must be that tiny part of the SA coastline I've missed (besides any that's too close to controlled airspace - I'm allowed, just don't like it)