Importing Microlights

Guest LJS

Good Morning All

I was having a rummage through various non Australian web sites that list used trikes for sale and I was quite surpised at the prices that were being asked for some of the machines!

Now I am aware that the condition and the history of the machine play a large part in the asking price of any secondhand machine but the prices ( after foreign exchange conversion) seem to be fairly low!

what I would like to know is whether anyone on the forum has imported a microlight aircraft before and if so what it entails (ATF's local certification, freight costs etc) and whether it would be a cost effective option to buying a local sited machine

Guest Crezzi

Overseas trikes might not work out so cheap by the time you been to do a thorough inspection and check flight in them. Importing one without doing so would be a risky proposition (see http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7533 )

Then you have to pay the freight & importation costs and, unless its a type thats already approved here, getting it certified.

I considered it when I first moved here but came to the conclusion that it was no cheaper and a lot more hassle.

Cheers

John

LJS

I imported my new Quik 912s from the UK last year, and can give you any or all details. If it is a UK Trike it will be certified to Section S, which is acceptable here in Australia.

There was no duty payable, but we had to pay GST and this was added after all other costs i.e. freight, insurance etc. Obviously a lot depends on the exchange rate at the time of deposit and final payment but it still worked out comparable to the locally manufactured equivalents for us.

Not sure what would be involved if you are after a 2nd hand Trike but I don't think I would buy one unseen and untried.

Safe flying

Kev

LJS

Totally agree with the comments - check with HGFA &/or RAA Technical Officers to confirm compliance of make & model which will determine acceptance under CAO 95.32 for commercially manufactured machines. Single seaters will be different & may well be compliant with CAO 95.10 if not com.man..??

It has taken almost twelve years to fly Air Creation machines legally in Australia but with BCARS machines you will only require the Certificate of Conformity, Certification of Compliance & obviously the Operators Flight Manual.

Should you require any assistance on importing microlight & the associated paper chase... I have two decades of experience to offer any advice you may need.

REMEMBER..don't buy anything without documents to substantiate the reliable history of safe operations for the individual machine, & as said - unseen will be uncertain.

Smooth flights

Chris :yin_yan:

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies, I am still investigating the where , when and how, Do I just want to fly, do I want to own and fly etc but I am pretty much set on trikes (I have flown the Antares M-30, Aviate Raptor ,Aquilla and Windlass trikes)

So I was just trying to get an idea of what was involved in importing a trike to Australia.

The info that I have received leads me to the conclusion that it would be better to buy a well maintained, cared for Australian machine!

Thanks once again to all that answered, the advice is greatly appreciated!:thumb_up:

Have seen the DFS trikes website.

The problem with Single seat trikes in USA is that they fly under FAA Part 103 which does not require and licensing or registration of UL's & trikes that are less than 112kg empty weight. Kind of like Nanolight trikes under 70kg empty weight here in Oz. So unless the empty weight limit on nanolight trikes here in Oz also comes up to 112kg you're asking for a lot of paperwork for a "maybe".

I've looked into this and with the current rules you would have to try to register one under CAO95.10, which may or may not be allowed depending on what approvals the manufacturer has with their country's aviation governing body. The only glimmer of hope I've seen is that one of the USA FAA Part103 trike manufacturers is working on an FAA approved 51% kit and this should satisfy CAO95.10 requirements.

Guest Crezzi
meaning that it comes 51% pre-assembled?

Sort of - the major portion (Ie more than 50%) of the aircraft "must be fabricated and assembled by the owner".

AFAIK CAO95.10 doesn't actually mandate how much of the kit you have to do yourself but the kit would need to be approved by RAA. Not sure but I imagine HGFA rules would be similar

Cheers

John

• 6 months later...

I managed to get a reply more on the positive side from Steve Bell - RAAus Technical Manager last week.

"For the single seat trikes, If the aircraft is factory built, it can be registered under 24 (outside of 19), it is built from a kit then it would probably fit in 19 (24 and 19 are CAO 96.55), a scratch built then would fall under 95.10. Some may even fall under CAO.32. What I am trying to say is that we would assess each aircraft individually and then make a decision at the time. A lot of this depends on the weight and stall speed only, for instance 24 is anything less than 544 kg MTOW with a stall speed at MTOW of less than 45 kits. and factory built."

Hoping this will pave the way to register a USA FAA Part103 single seater trike here in Oz, which I'll most likely purchase as a kit.