Is It To Soon To Start Planning For Ausfly 2013?

mnewbery

Are you going to Ausfly 2013?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you going to Ausfly 2013?

• Yes but I'm already full up
    • Yes and I have one or more spare seats
    • I'm getting a lift/sharing the trip
    • Can't go but want to
    • Don't want to go

Firstly, the good news.

I didn't hear anyone having a bad time going to or from Natfly or getting caught doing something dumb. Given the road toll over the same period, I think a bit of self congratulation is in order for those who attended and made it home. Tell me if I missed something.

It would be nice to take safe passage to and from an event like this for granted once again, personal minima being the things that they are. Staying on the ground is always an option...

Secondly, Ausfly 2012 was a blast even though I only got an afternoon and a balloon launch in.

Is now a good time to start planning who is coming from where? Personally I'm up manure creek for everything except time off as far as the weekend goes. If anyone wants to go to Ausfly from anywhere on the Darling Downs and then back, I can travel light and hand over my share of the gas money.

Then there's the bit about scamming some space in someone's tent...

In a utopian world it would be me offering a ride but the money gods have not been kind this year. Soon I hope to be able to return the offer

Guest aviatrix27

when is it? Will talk to you at your place in a fortnight, if we take the same tent we're having at our place you can use the same square footage you used last time

when is it? Will talk to you at your place in a fortnight, if we take the same tent we're having at our place you can use the same square footage you used last time

This is not to suggest that he sleeps standing up, is it?;)

It would have been better if I did sleep standing up. Unbeknownst to all, I knocked over an ashtray in my sleep and rolled in the contents that night.

By the time I rolled into Toowoomba 9 hours later, it was the least of my troubles on that day.

Good times!

Only thing I know of drama wise at Natfly was on departure an emergency was declared for an aircraft that took off just before me that Unicom noticed was trailing a lot of smoke. Landed OK. Was déjà vu moment for me as a Jab that took off in front of me last year had an emergency landing with a cockpit full of smoke. Have never heard of any outcomes.

As for Ausfly, I am more interested in what they are going to ask for exhibitors fees before I commit.

Guest aviatrix27
It would have been better if I did sleep standing up. Unbeknownst to all, I knocked over an ashtray in my sleep and rolled in the contents that night.By the time I rolled into Toowoomba 9 hours later, it was the least of my troubles on that day.

Good times!

Sorry about that! No danger of that happening again - more than 6 months without them now

Only thing I know of drama wise at Natfly was on departure an emergency was declared for an aircraft that took off just before me that Unicom noticed was trailing a lot of smoke. Landed OK. Was déjà vu moment for me as a Jab that took off in front of me last year had an emergency landing with a cockpit full of smoke. Have never heard of any outcomes.As for Ausfly, I am more interested in what they are going to ask for exhibitors fees before I commit.

Well Dex, it's clear you will have to leave first in future to save all this drama for pilots trying to leave before you ;-)

From the AusFly website:

The rest of the website still has last year's information as a sample of what to expect. We'll be updating with this year's info in the coming months!

O rly? :confused:

On the surface it would appear that things are not well advanced in the planning of this event. I am hopeful that something other than the date and location has been decided. As for the stall fees, insurance, camping fees and all the other stuff - I am hopeful someone with the authority to speak on behalf of SAAA will be forthcoming with that information soon.

Assuming the wet rental on a club four seater (C172/PA28-180) for the weekend would be around $1K there is a level of financial commitment that needs to be made well in advance ... not to mention the obligatory leave passes from head office. If you were driving in from the coast:

Bansktown to Narromine: 5 hours each way ($90-$100 petrol times two)

Archerfield, Moorabbin or Toowoomba to Narromine: 9 hours each way (argh!)

But where is the fun in driving?

Perhaps its time to give the SAAA a bit of a nudge to publish their fees for this year?

Hoping to go, a few of the fellas from Coldstream are talking about it as well, would like to head up to longreach after then back via the coast( victor one) the war museum in Canberra ,a place in Woolongong , then back to YCEM

Regarding the exhibitors fees, view this response

Hi Matt,You can contact David Brown, he is heavily involved with Ausfly and will be

able to provide you with the best information.

You can contact him on: 0416223194 or email at: [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Amber

Sport Aircraft Association of Australia Inc

P O Box 99

Narromine, NSW, 2821

Ph: (02) 68897777 Fax: (02) 68897788

[email protected]

Web: www. saaa.com