What got you into Aviation? For me was...

What got you into aviation?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What got you into aviation?

• Family Member
    • Curiosity or Fascination
    • A Gift
    • Playing flight simulator games
    • Living nearby an Airport
    • First Flight you've took
    • Just for the high paying job
    • A book you've read
    • Other...

Hello once more RecFlying mates, I didn't share my last videos with you because they weren't somewhat aviation related, but this one is a very personal video and basically why I got into aviation.

I got a special gift when I was 3 years old in 1990. It changed my life forever and molded the path to who and where I am today, Commander McKoy! I headed to Den Helder to re-buy it, since I didn't have it anymore with me in The Netherlands. I also managed to visit the local Airport and took some shots there.

And for you? What got you into aviation? Was just mere curiosity or fascination? Did you have someone in your family that were already working in the aviation industry?

Don't forget to vote in the poll!

I was also very fascinated how something so big and heavy could fly so "slow" in the sky...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video.

And as always I salute you all my Captains, get ready, Over and Out!

When I was a small boy, my father got his PPL, and I remember going up with him in his Piper Cherokee in the late 1960's and early '70's. From then, my ambition was to be a pilot. My parents booked me on a "Gooney Bird" DC3 sight seeing flight around Brisbane about 1980 which left a great impression on me.

In the 1990's he taught me some basics of flying on one of the first installments of Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS95 I think).

He passed away in 2003, but I kept dabbling on the flight sims. About 5 years later I had a medical condition requiring me to have a long recovery time at home. I had the idea that I could fly around Australia real time in a small aircraft, from small aerodrome to small aerodrome on FSX.

Two years ago, I found myself in a financial position to realize my life ambition to be a pilot, and took a Trial Introductory Flight, as if I needed a trial. Thus my adventure as a pilot commenced....

I hope his teachings live on forever in you and help to make your dream come true.

I also played a lot of FS2004 in my teenage days. I remember the first time I tried to fly a Boeing 747. I was perplexed by the amount of so many clocks and buttons and thought, it will take ages to learn everything.

Good luck then with your ongoing adventure and medical condition, I wish you the best. We are never old to start/learn something new.

Unfortunately for me, I stopped flying a year ago, for some unexpected turn of events.

Thanks for your story and heartfelt reply.

I hope his teachings live on forever in you and help to make your dream come true.I also played a lot of FS2004 in my teenage days. I remember the first time I tried to fly a Boeing 747. I was perplexed by the amount of so many clocks and buttons and thought, it will take ages to learn everything.

Good luck then with your ongoing adventure and medical condition, I wish you the best. We are never old to start/learn something new.

Unfortunately for me, I stopped flying a year ago, for some unexpected turn of events.

Thanks for your story and heartfelt reply.

Thanks, for the record, that medical condition is no more, we have fantastic medical technology and expertise in our midst. I hope you find a way back into the air, and live the dream. All the best.

Thanks once more. I was living the dream back then, 2000 total flight hours, which 1700 were instruction flights and aprox 6500 landings.

I created my own Youtube Channel (CommanderMcKoy) to upload my student's videos, giving them the ability to review their flights everywhere at anytime with the advantage of having detailed briefings and procedures. But unfortunately soon after, everything went spiraling down.

Since I'm not flying anymore, I've focused on making my video biography. The first series are called From Zero to Hero on how I've become a pilot, starting from the very beggining where I received this very special gift.

It's amazing how a gift can change your life forever. It doesn't matter if it's small or big, cheap or expensive. What's important is the meaning.

Sometimes I keep wondering if I received something else would I take a different path. Would've I became a medic, firefighter or car mechanic? I will never know...

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be posting here. Hehe.