Dynon to Garmin 296 interface

Guest clemair

Guest clemair

I have a Dynon D10A and a Garmin 296 GPS fitted to a factory built J230. Can anyone assist in simple but detailed terms the way in which I can interface these two instruments so that I can obtain winds aloft information from my Dynon display? Also is it possible to obtain fuel flow and quantity information through the Dynon, if so what is needed?

Appreciate any and all advice given, Thanks. 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

I have just been going thru winds aloft issues and the interface between my Dynon 180 and AvMap.

Got it sorted for the trip up to Narromine.

I reckon that the best place to raise these specifics is on Dynon's own support forum via their website as I have found the Dynon Support staff to be excellent. They come back within a day and are usually spot on. Some of their software upgrades are adding features & upgrades to their instruments all the time, so you need the latest set-up data.

You may also find that someone has asked your question previously on that forum .... I recall at least one recently on a D10 and 296 .... or was that you?

Hope this helps, and apologies if you have already tried there.

On the 180 the fuel usage will also predict fuel remaining at each waypoint or destination when interfaced with your gps, which I find useful.

Guest clemair

Thanks captain and J430, I got an immediate response from dynon with wiring instructions. Yes I do have an OAT and remote compass installed. It was my first trip to Narromine, what a roll up and so many interesting people to discuss all things aviation, it won't be my last, not even waking up in the tent with 2 inches of water in my sleeping bag will deter another visit. :thumb_up:

Thanks captain and J430, I got an immediate response from dynon with wiring instructions. Yes I do have an OAT and remote compass installed. It was my first trip to Narromine, what a roll up and so many interesting people to discuss all things aviation, it won't be my last, not even waking up in the tent with 2 inches of water in my sleeping bag will deter another visit. :thumb_up:

Drop another post here when you have it working happily.

Assume Dynon also advised you of which NMEA sentences the D10A needs for this from the 296?

No mention of NMEA

I can only speak of the AvMap, but I assume that the 296 needs something similar as the NMEA output is what the Dynon items need to take data from.

The D10A installation instructions will have it, but with mine I needed to turn on the NMEA-Out stream in the Communications section of the main menu of the GPS, and then set up the sentences that the NMEA-Out stream needed to contain. There are about 15 or so of them and the Dynon needed RMC, RMB, GGA and either BOD or APB ... but they needed to be exactly what the Dynon required.

If that is not clear in your instruction book, it might be worth asking Dynon for the details ..... but then again the 296 might already have it done.

I just had a look in my book for the 180 and it appears to also cover the D10A, but I suggest you check with Dynon anyway.

Anyway, I hope that this helps.

Keep us posted on how you go.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clemair

I unfortunatly live some distance from my aircraft so I await my days off impatiently. I have just returned from attempting to connect my GPS to my Dynon, only to find that when Jabiru install the 296 GPS they use the power only cable which consists of 2 wires and not the power/data cable which has a few more and contains the blue wire which I need to connect to the Dynon. I have ordered the optional extra lead and will try again when I next return to the hangar...049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clemair

Have just returned from the hangar where I connected the 296 to the Dynon D10A as per instructions. Unfortunatly the weather was very ordinary and thus did not venture out of the hangar. I can only assume that it will work. I am still a little puzzled to know what settings I need to change in order to make this connection work. I would be pleased to hear from anybody out there who has the same setup as me, i.e D10A to a Garmin 296 and will this give you HSI information or only winds aloft.

p.s I am one of those people who need the technical jargon explained to me in simple laymans terms. ;)

Guest pelorus32

G'day Clemair,

the question is: after connecting it is there a signal between the GPS and the Dynon? You should be able to call up the HSI page and in the top left there should be a magenta GPS mode flag. This should appear when both instruments are on and the GPS has a satellite fix.

If you don't have this happening then all is probably not well.

Calling up the HSI page is done as follows:

Accessing the HSI/DG Page

The HSI is displayed as a full-screen page on your EFIS-D10A. If the HSI is defined as part of a screen setup in your rotation, display the HSI page using either of the screen rotation hotkeys (buttons 1 and 6) until the appropriate page is displayed. If the HSI screen is not in your rotation, you can access the HSI by holding down the right button and navigating to the HSI screen. See page 3-2 for more information on screen configuration.

Have you done the following:

• Changed the GPS so that all heading output is in magnetic

• Set up the GPS output so that: To use the GPS-related features on your EFIS and/or EMS, your GPS must output either “aviation format†or the following NMEA sentences in its serial stream: $GPRMC, $GPRMB, $GPGGA, and one of $GPBOD or $GPAPB.

To do the first one go to the main menu of the GPSmap 296 and choose Setup and then choose the Location sub-tab and then I think you should choose Auto Maq Var.

To fix the second one work out whether you have the Dynon connected to Comm1 or Comm2 and then select the appropriate sub tab under the Setup Tab. Then highlight the field below "Serial Data Format" hit Enter select "NMEA In/NMEA Out" and hit enter and then press "Menu" button and choose "Advanced Setup" this will allow you to set up a number of things, but particularly the NMEA sentences. Set them to include the ones above if these are not in the default. You should now be good to go.

If this doesn't work you need to chaeck that you are getting NMEA out of the GPS. To do this you need a multimeter that will show you transient small +ve and small -ve voltages. I think from memory it's something like +5 and -0.5v but my memory is not serving me well. I have a Fluke that allows you to show varying voltages and to graph them - it's a great tool for this job. If you are not getting NMEA out then you need to go back through your harness and your GPS settings.

Let us know how you go but remember the GPS needs to have a fix or to be in simulate mode - Main Menu - GPS tab press menu choose simulate. Don't forget to turn SIMULATE off later!!

Regards

Mike

Guest clemair

Thanks Mike, you seem to have this down pat. I will print your instructions out so that I can follow it to the letter. As mentioned earlier, I live some distance from my hangar so will not be able to try this for about 2 weeks when I am next there.

Again thanks for the reply and I will let you know how it all goes...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clemair

Well Mike, I have had success, I followed your instructions and hey presto. It is extremelly accurate as well. I have an added bonus of a glide slope which I did not expect. I think this is linked to the parameters in the GPS set by the user, i.e what height do you wish to arrive over the aerodrome. With extended centre line guidence in the GPS I could keep my skills up for shooting an ILS into nearly any airfield. (In VFR conditions only and not loggable). I am a bit of a gadget man so I love the added features, thanks again.:thumb_up: :big_grin: ;)

Regards

Danny.

• 2 weeks later...