Better Weather Radar coverage in central western NSW

Captain

Having just returned from Natfly and sweating on the radar coverage of what was coming in from the NW, in the area to the west of Narromine, I reckon that the BOM would benefit from getting themselves better coverage via an additional weather radar at Dubbo or Cobar or thereabouts.

The 2 western sites at Wagga & Moree are a long way apart and have a gap in the Cobar area ..... and while they detect lightning in that region, they appear not to detect good quality precipitation until it gets close to Dubbo.

Did or does anyone else noticed anything similar?

Regards Geoff

Guest Fred Bear

Geoff, I have emailed them re this and yes, there is indeed a 'black spot' there. They had no further plans for an additional radar there either last I spoke with them.

While it might be nice to have some coverage up in that part of the world, you need to be a bit realistic about the need. I (very) occasionally visit a property about half way between Cobar and Ivanhoe, and lets face it, there are not a lot of people out there. The property I visit, Neckarbo, has an area of 320,000 acres and if you fly directly there from , say, Hillston, 200 km, you only pass over two other properties. I don't imagine the amount of aeroplane traffic west of Dubbo really warrants the expenditure.

David

Nyngan/Cobar would be a good site. Who knows what bearing information from a Cobar radar site would have had on the flight that killed the spud king. Lot of transcontinental flights pass through that airspace. Just because there isn't much development in that area doesn't warrant a service. Big Charlie Bravos move quick around the western plains. Dubbo gets stuff all early warning of storm lines coming in from the west. Some of the biggest storms I have seen have been in that area in the middle of the night in early spring. Bad enough to drive through let alone fly in 'em.