ASIC/AVID Questions

sain

Today my boss (knowing I'm aviation obsessed, and being a pilot himself) forwarded me the CASA breifing (http://casa.gov.au/corporat/casabriefing/08Mar.htm) to read, which had the very interesting line:

All active pilots over 18 years must undergo a background security check and be issued with one of the identification cards.

Does this apply to RA-AUS Pilot Certificate holders like me? I was under the impression that you only needed to get the background checks done if your flying into security controlled airports, but this seems to be saying that we still need to get them done if we want to fly at all (and recieve our value-for-money-i-just-burned-$181 AVID card). Can anybody clarify that for me?

Personally I'd much rather spend that money going flying than on a chunk of plastic with my photo on it.

sorry for the double post

:im with stupid:whups, clicked the application button and answered my own question:

If you operate an aircraft in Australian Territory and you need to hold a licence issued by CASA, you must have a current AVID or ASIC or must have applied to CASA for an aviation security status check. This does not apply if you are under 18 years of age

:sorry:all

Guest airsick

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that if you have a licence then you need an AVID or ASIC. If you wish to operate out of a security controlled airport then an AVID is not sufficient, you must have an ASIC.

Guest airsick

Ah yes, licence should not be confused with pilot certificate. The key point here is CASA issued.

Interesting point though, if you are a terrorist and not 18 yet then you can still fly and carry bombs. Don't tell Osama, he will lower his recruiting age. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif