Echuca crash

The pilot of a light plane walked away with only a bruise after his Jabiru J160 crashed on landing at Echuca earlier this afternoon.

The pilot, who was the sole occupant said it was a normal approach in light conditions. The low front edge of the nosewheel fairing contacted the bitumen which stopped the nosewheel turning, which in turn caused the plane to flip onto its back.

Ben

[/url]

Guest aircraft1

How can a wheel spat rubbing on the ground or front tyre cause a plane to turn over on its back ?

Guest Decca

Aircraft1; rubbing on ground or tyre is ok, but when spat locks between wheel & ground, the nose wheel stops but the a/c keeps going, dare I sat it, due to its inertia, & wont stop until the top surface hits the runway, upside down & facing the wrong way.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Regards, Decca.

Well - it wasn't that bad a landing - the pilot flared a bit early and the aircraft landed firmly on its main wheels and bounced back into the air. Unfortunatly it then came down on the front nosewheel thus sandwiching the spat between tyre and the bitumen runway. The 'plane then nosed over (shattering the wooden prop) and skidded down the runway on its engine cowling and left wingtip. As it came to rest it finally flipped onto its back. (yes Decca - thats me - talking to the law). and no Geoff - not my 'plane.

regards

Ouch.JPG.dfa96e07bf0bba0111ef03a861373512.JPG

(yes Decca - thats me - talking to the law).regards

Based on that photo, you don't look that "Pete" to me. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Or are they just "even bigger" wallopers?

Well - I could claim that the name came from observations in the shower block. :big_grin:

But the truth of the matter is I have grandson who is also called Peter. So the women in my life decided to name him little Pete and Pop became......

now you know.

(size ain't everything) ;)

regards

My uncle's name is also Ant and hence I got "little Ant" and he got "big Ant". I'm decidedly bigger now. But I still get "little Ant".i_dunno

:off topic:They call this an endo (gone wrong) A mate of mine did this on his ZX9R not long ago. He said the red light got closer and closer till he had make the decision to go "A" over "T" in preference to rolling into heavy traffic on the front wheel. I think maybe the better decision would have been to go a little easier on the throttle wrist action back up the road a bit. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Endos... thats what you do at traffic lights to p:censored: off car drivers...normally looking in their window with wide eyes just before you put the back wheel on the ground.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif If the lights are kind to you, you can drop the back wheel on the ground and pull a wheelie away from the lights:big_grin:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.... am I being irresponsible?? no I didn't think so...099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Regards

Phil