Heck Field (Jacobs Well QLD) Major runway improvements

I would share the following press release from the Gold Coast Sports Flying Club who operates out of Heck Field at Jacobs Well.

As a purely recreational airfield with no outside support from council or government, any improvements to our facilities are completely funded by members.

There have been many improvements over the years, but our runways have always been, let's say, pretty rough.

The whole airfield was built on the waste material excavated when the government was building the M1 motorway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

We  were lucky at the time that our president organised for all of this waste material to be dumped at our airfield and levelled out raising the level approximately 2 m, because previously the area flooded just about any time there was a high tide and any rain.

The runways were further improved about six months ago raising the level again and adding a stabilised base.

Yesterday was a very important time where we laid asphalt to each end of the runway to eliminate/reduce propeller damage on takeoff. I must say that it was very satisfying to see these works completed yesterday, makes me a very proud club member !

Read more about it below,  (60 second read with photos)

https://www.gcsfc.org.au/latest-runway-improvements-january-2021/

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1