Savannah VG wing strut attachments

philbtilly

Hi, I've bought a part built VG kit and am currently completing the build. The wing strut end cast attachment fittings which slide into the struts are all identical except 2, which are stainless and undrilled and I assume attach at the aft point on each wing. Could anyone tell me if the wing incidence/washout is critical when drilling these attachments to the struts, or if they are just drilled/bolted at equal lengths for both left and right side struts.

Cheers.

Hi Philbtilly, the wings are so fat and rigid, I doubt you'd be able to induce any washout.

I first fitted the wings to the fuse using the front fully assembled struts with the predrilled ends.

I then fitted the rear struts complete with the undrilled end, marked for drilling, removed, drilled and refitted.

And she flies just fine.

The flaperons provide a sort of washout: the outer segment of each flaperon is offset upwards by a set measurement from the inner segment.

You're welcome, Phil.
While you're on it, there was a modification to the front strut wing attachment, you may want to check if you have that.

I'm a bit hazy on the details (my S kit had it built in) I believe it's something fairly simple like a packing piece between the paired attachment points from the strut.

JG3 or Mark of Kyle Communications, who both post here, would have more details.