Best route: Mangalore - Brisbane (Gatton)

Guest Avion

Guest Avion

Hi, i flew once from Brisbane to Narromine so have a vague idea about the route but looking for any recommendations/help and ideas further south or the whole route. The plane is Saphhire. Thanks.

Tom

Guest pelorus32

Hi Tom,

don't know the endurance or speed of the Sapphire, so this is a bit hit and miss. Neither have I looked at the terrain in the last stretch (the northern end) where you have a fair bit of scrub and then the ranges. However try something like this:

Mangalore - Tocumwal (68nm) - West Wyalong (137) - Narromine (116) - Narrabri (140) - Gatton (208)

That drifts off the rhumb line a little but not much. To add extra stops towards the end you will have to fly further off track.

The first part of that trip to Narromine I have done and it presents no problems at all as far as terrain etc. If you have fuel issues you could substitute Mangalore - Narrandera (146) - Narromine (172) for the first bit with fuel available at each of those places. I think West Wyalong is harder for fuel from memory. I don't know the second part of that trip - after Narromine.

Regards

Mike

Regards

Mike

There is no longer fuel at West Wyalong as I understand, but you can get fuel at Forbes, Narrandera (need an ASIC), Yarrawonga, Tocumwal, Finley (weekdays) and Shepparton, all user friendly.

David