Private ownership

Guest Ken deVos

Guest davidnye

Hello Team!

My name is David and I found this forum a few days ago after seeing an add in the RA Mag.

Great Forum group rivalling the Socata.org group for content and continual use by it's members. Well done to the Admin team.

I'm a GA PPL pilot and am currently flying Grumman Tigers with the Brisbane Flying Group based at Archerfield. We have 3 Grumman Tigers shared amonst 45 odd members. Share cost was $2,500. My reasoning for purchasing this share was based upon me having to complete my PPL which consisted of all the Navs etc. It was cheaper for me to buy this along with the associated yearly fees etc than to hire a C-172 or similiar. I was able to hire an Instructor from a flying school at Archerfield and do all my flying in the Grumman. I've had my full PPL for 18months and have about 90 hrs up in the Grummans which I should add are a great aircraft!

Aircraft ownership has been on my agenda for 6 years or so. I've looked at mainly GA up until about 12months ago but am now heading down the Ultra Light/ GA Experimental track. I have a young family and initially we had envisaged buying a 4 seater (Grumman or Comanchee 180, Tobago TB10 to name a few) and doing some touring with the kids when a bit older. Costs anywhere from $80 to $110k. Things change though don't they! I arrived at asking myself what flying am I going to be doing the majority of the time and who with? My conclusion was me and most of the time probably one other! I can hire a 4 or 6 seater when needed!

The Grummans are becoming expensive to fly given we pay an hrly fuel surcharge, the now $24 landing fee, $970 annual fees and my fuel etc to driver from the Gold Coast to Archerfield and back., 140k's.

So.....I'm currently looking at a Zenith CH200 for $28k. 2 seat, 100hp, 100kt cruise, 21ltrs an hr and aerobatic. VH reg. I can tip in $10k and borrow $18k over 3 yrs. Based upon flying 50hrs a year, the yearly cost for the first 3 yrs (ignoring inflation etc) is EXACTLY the same as hiring the Grumman with all the add on's. After 3 years, my hrly rate comes down by 70% plus I have a comodity to sell at some point later. I have sourced hangarage for the Zenith and covered all the other bases regarding fixed overheads.

I like aircraft ownership because (I hope) I'm basically the only one flying the aeroplane and looking after it, I control the maintenance, you can set the aircraft up to what suits you and of course the proud ownership component!

The deal isn't done yet but we'll see how we go!

Sorry for the long blurb but thought I'd jump in anyway!

Happy flying to all!

Welcome David. I have flown in all three Grumman Tigers at Archerfield with my brother-in-law Rodney Phillips. He is also a member of the group you mention. In April last year he did his conversion to Light Sport with Cliff Banks at Swan Hill. With what you have mentioned in your post, share this with Rodney and tell him to join this forum.

Safe flying

Guest davidnye

Thanks for the response Galpin. I'll try and track Rodney down.

I notice you have a Lightning. I've kept tabs on the Esqual/Lightning groups for quite a while as part of my "homework". A very active group as well.

I've also followed closely the Australian made Cobra, chiefly Bazz at Narranderra whose recently flown Cobra is for sale. Rotary powered. About $90k.

Have a great day!

So.....I'm currently looking at a Zenith CH200 for $28k. 2 seat, 100hp, 100kt cruise, 21ltrs an hr and aerobatic. VH reg.

Hi David - The Zenith is a pretty neat looking a/c.. and quick - albeit a bit thirsty... Do you know if they can be RAA registered? (Looks as tho it may be heavy-ish...)

Cheers,

Chris

Guest davidnye

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the note.

As an aside, I worked for Uncle Ben's in Wodonga for 16yrs. Used to fly into Bathurst quite a bit on company aircraft etc!

EMPT weight of the Zenith is 480Kg with a MTOW of 680kg.

There are 7 other Zeniths on the VH register.

21ltrs an Hr is better than 35-40 in the Grummans! Gotta start somewhere!

Thanks mate.