Bell Crank assembly on Savannah S

BC0979

You all have been very very helpful with all of my previous build question so I have another one.

Manual Chapter 15, page 9/24 (see pic of page)20230427_161710.thumb.jpg.afadb6dff441ae8426a8a0ec83520183.jpg

The bell crank lever has an elastomer(black) center that is assembled per the diagram with the AN5 bolt, a short metal sleeve, AN5 washer, the lever arm(with black elastomer center), long metal sleeve, then two AN5 washers before the castle nut.

Here's my assembly per the manual. 20230427_164317.thumb.jpg.ee15b92659b34fac70e0983b033fb869.jpg

Sorry the photo is backwards from the diagram but in either case here's my concern:

*** the lever arm (black elastomer) has ONE WASHER only on one side, the short sleeve side. Why is there not another washer on the long sleeve side? I am afraid that the metal sleeve will dig/wear into the black elastomer over time. This is the bell crank and it is in constant use.

I am asking this forum if anyone has seen excessive wear in this area????

An easy work around would be to add a washer on the long sleeve side and reduce the long metal sleeve by the thickness of this added washer. Not difficult at all but just wanted to know if there were any bell crank issues. Better to be safe right!

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

That is the 'newer' bellcrank arrangement. My kit, factory dated Dec 2014, came with the old quite different version, but the instructions for what you have there. So it changed about then.
I would think that if there were wear problems we would have heard by now.
My thought is that, while the bellcrank is constantly worked, the movements are for the most part very small. And assuming the bellcrank pivot is at 90deg to the pull of the elevator cables, there would be minimal pressure on the side faces.

Having said all that, if you have the means to shorten the tube and add a washer, why not?

I was tempted, sometimes a lot, during my build to 'improve' the design.

I resisted by telling myself that there are probably thousands of these, built according to manufacturer's instructions, and they work fine.
Then, sometime after the half way mark, all I wanted to do was see air under the wheels, so I took the shortest route to that and just followed the instructions. Or tried to (we all have moments with the manual!)

And in retrospect, I think you could count on less than one hand advisable improvements to the kit and instructions as delivered.

IBob,

Thanks again for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Yeah, this little detail bothered me, so I took another AN5 washer, measured the thickness of 0.062 and ground the long sleeve down by that amount. This should not affect anything else but let me sleep better.

• Like 1