PlaneSight / SkySight Weather Forecasting Service - feedback wanted

Hi all,

I've been working for the last few years on a new weather forecasting service for recreational and GA pilots - PlaneSight (https://planesight.app/), a derivative of our market-leading SkySight commonly used in the gliding community.

While I'm in the last stages of designing and testing the service I'm opening it up to the public for free access, and I'm hoping you'll take the time to send me some feedback if you do or don't like it. Please email me at [email protected] .

I am a private pilot and glider pilot, and develop this product myself in Brisbane with the help of an international team.

What separates our service from other services available is we do all the weather modeling in-house, we're not just showing you presentations of the otherwise freely available general-purpose weather models, but rather a specialized high-detail model aimed at better performance forecasting aviation weather.

We try and couple this with a very intuitive and ergonomic interface and simple presentation. Other features include ultra-high definition real-time satellite imagery, rain radar, webcams and route planning. Development is ongoing with more features coming soon.

If you like it a lot and would like to support the ongoing development, you can open a personal subscription already at https://skysight.io/, which will remember your location/preferences and save your routes, and will be the home of the service long term.

image.thumb.png.ccd2c7541de9268778caf4e42f21cefc.pngimage.thumb.png.282e4c31e532fd1da9751f57b621c70f.png

Edited by plantain
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The weather we CAN get needs a better and more fit for the purpose format than what's currently available. Pilots also need to know more about weather  and HOW it   forms certain situations.  and how best to avoid it.  Nev

• Like 1

Thanks Nev, I agree.

When pilots make mistakes with the weather, sometimes it is because the models underlying the forecast were wrong, but far more often it's because the pilot did not understand, or was not properly communicated to what the modelling actually said.

The presentation of the weather data such that pilots can evaluate risks is so critical, and we do our pilots and meteorologists a great disservice when the only dissemination of that data is a three-line TAF/Area Forecast and a black-and-white chart.

• Like 1