op reg changes for the future

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

The EAA has filed a request to the FAA for regulatory exemptions that would allow the use of electric motors in ultralight and light sport aircraft. At the moment they are restricted to recipricating engines only.

I would like to see the RAAus follow suit and approach CASA to allow the same exemption to our op regs here.

interested in any coments regarding this and other motive power types you think may be revelant in the near future. electric, turbine, air engines, alternate fuel sources ect

regards

Ozzie

Good thinking Ozzie ... I have been following the recent developments in electric motors and battery technology - won't be long and battery energy density will increase to sufficient levels to be useful.

Cheers,

Speddo

Guest ozzie

Thanks Speddo,

Planning for the near future. A big ask, is it not. Just what will happen with fossil fuels over the next ten years. just like to see us prepared for the future and read some views on just what may happen to engines and fuel types over the next ten years or so and if the RAAus needs to following the EAA's lead in this area.

just what the EAA are proposing.

ozzie

I see no reason to approach CASA for an exemption as the only requirement for CAO95.55 para 1.5 and 1.6 aircraft is that they are fitted with 1 propeller and 1 engine. It does not specify that it must be reciprocating.

Even LSA does not make that specification, only non turbine.

Chris

Guest ozzie

thats good i have been trying to work it out for a while, so confusing. sure i saw the word "reciprocating" in there somewhere.

what would be the requirements/ guidlines for the following fuel types.

high amperage /capacity batteries. LPG/natrual gas, compressed air.

any chance on permitting turbines. love a couple of 50lb olympus R/C turbines for the Lazair:big_grin: those pioneers are definatly heading for the bin.

• 4 weeks later...
thats good i have been trying to work it out for a while, so confusing. sure i saw the word "reciprocating" in there somewhere. what would be the requirements/ guidlines for the following fuel types.

high amperage /capacity batteries. LPG/natrual gas, compressed air.

any chance on permitting turbines. love a couple of 50lb olympus R/C turbines for the Lazair:big_grin: those pioneers are definatly heading for the bin.

Hi Ozzie,

I haven't seen any guidelines etc as yet for electrics / compressed gasses etc. Hydrogen or other gases, as a fuel for an engine, would possibly be a problem due to the containment arrangements, although Rutan managed to create a composite engine for his starship, so anything is possible. It will be a question of $$$.

The olympus jet is currently being used on various sailplanes, the latest being the Ventus-2cxa from Schempp-Hirth Sailplanes. The downside to the jets currently is the noise, the fuel burn and the lack of climb rate for heavier aircraft. You might end up burning holes in the wings on the Lazair 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Chris

Even LSA does not make that specification, only non turbine.

As soon as I can afford the variable prop to suit my GPU, I should be able to cut my range in half! 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Question; Define propellor?

Is there a maximum number of blades?

(Guess where I'm going with this.......) ;)

Arthur.

Guest ozzie

obviously the turbines would be just a 'novelty' cost a bit prohibitive. not to mention inefficient and thristy. but what a fashion statement.

For short duration electric will be the go. for a little more oomph on the climb rate, i have a box of 5 ltr 10 bar steam boilers. anyone got ideas on nozzell sizes.:big_grin:

• 1 month later...
Guest Bendorn

Where does it say I can't put a Garrett JFS 100 modified jet engine putting out 90hp @ 60,400rpm burning 45 litres per hour but I can only use for about 10 minutes because it will overheat. So you save on fuel there..............

But if all that could get ironed out........

Can I have one?

Guest airsick

Pipistrel did an interesting presentation about electric flight which can be seen here:

http://www.pipistrel.si/files/CAFE%202008%20EAS%20ETaurus%20Subtitled.pdf

The presentation was given at the CAFE Foundation Electric Aircraft Symposium held in April this year. More information including all the presentations is on the website - http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pav_eas_2008.php

Pipistrel has a bit of a reputation of building efficient aircraft (they won the CAFE PAV challenge last year) so they are well placed as aircraft designers to utilise new technologies and so forth. That said, I am biased - I fly one. :big_grin:

PS. The presentation is rather large so it may take a while to download depending on your connection speed. Worth the wait though.