early Jabiru engines

Riley

Gentlemen

I've heard/read snippets somewhere that the early Jab 1600 engines were fraught with problems (even had the unofficial word that Jabiru don't/won't rebuild them).Did the problems (crankshaft or whatever??) eventually get sorted by the factory or was it deemed more efficient toconcentrate onthe 2200? Basically what I'm asking is am I a dumb newby to be considering purchasing a mothballed zero-time-from-new, Jab 1600 and prop? Anyenlightenment and info would be greatly appreciated.

Guest micgrace

Hi

Just in case there seems to some problem in obtaining info here are some possible ideas.

I did come across one problem in an early 1600. The rocker pedastal stud/bolt had pulled out of the cylinder head.

I seen a repair bulletein by Jabariu on this in themid 90's So it is best to speak to Jabiru to make sure all ads are complied with I believe there are some more attached to this engine, such as vavles, oil pump/drive, pistons, vavle guides.

If not concerned about certification, quite a bit could be done to this engine to repair and overhaul.

Since a lot of parts were holden derived it could be possible to use some very choice aftermarket (automotive) performance components. i.e. rods , pistons (forged), titanium keepers, bronze "k" line guides (steel vavles and aluminium not very good together) Stainless or titanium vavles plus a healthy dose of ARP bolts and much use of helicoils in preference to threaded aluminium boltholes.

Plus the one I had some experience with seemed to run some very high oil temps so some mods to oil cooling (external oil cooler,this onedidn't have one) would go a great way to increased reliability.

Ignition seemed to be lifted straight from Honda Stationary engine so yet another source of parts. Plus being CNC machined aluminium, quite possible to duplicate the other parts inc cylinders. And the crankshaft being turned and not drop forged one could be turned up. (Drop forged, grain direction follows the webs, the turned version, cuts across the webs, not so good from a strictengineering viewpoint but doesn't seem to have generated any problems)

It's not really an engine that I would use in a 2 place (95.55) a/c but would be quite suitable single place. Which is probably why it became part of history.

Some ideas Micgracesmiley1.gif Thats enough for now , time to fire up the Drifter. micgrace

I used the 1600 Jab engine for over 100 hours in my Corby and it was reliable. I bought it used from a bloke who was putting a 2.2 in his Jabiru.

It seemed fairly OK when I put it in the Corby and I pulled a couple of heads off and decided it would need overhaul fairly soon.

First flight I blew a cylinder head gasket, but that was caused by one bolt beeing over length and bottoming just as it was torqued up. Second flight the cockpit filled with grey smoke and I landed OK as it cleared quickly. Tthe cause was the rocker stud which also holds on the tappet cover had pulled out of the head. This was helicoiled back in place and third flight it overheated, so I pulled it out , took it to Bundaberg and we fixed it. Reground crank mains, new cylinders and pistons and a few other things. I took it home and assembled all the pieces and it ran really well, pulling the Corby along at 90 to 100kts but struggling in the summer to give a good rate of climb.

The ongoing problems I had were oil leaks which came from the push rod tubes mainly and I reckoned I could fix them with a redesign of the rocker cover to drain oil without it going into the tubes.

Eventually I managed to scrape up enough cash to get a zero timed 2.2 from Jabiru and the only problem is I should have done it a lot earlier.

Jabiru are not reconditioning the 1.6 engine and their policy is to encourage change over to the 2.2 by giving a fair trade in price to get the old engines retired.

If this doesn't help I am sure Don at Jabiru will give you good advice as I have always found all Jabiru staff to be knowledgible and fair in their advice and dealings.

Ian