Differences in these licences?

Guest Bretto

Guest Bretto

I'm currently deciding which way to go with my studies at moment and have come up to a hurdle

Hempels Aviation in Qld have 3 courses available to me

RAA

PPL

PPL & RAA

Now i'm just trying to figure out what the differences are between these licences

Doesn't a PPL give you all the priviliges as the RAA?

If so why is there need for course where you get both licences?

What benefits do you EXACTLY get with an PPL licence that you don't get with RAA or vice versa?

091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Cheers

Brett

Guest airsick

The difference is simple. PPL allows you to fly big, heavy, inefficient, un-aerodynamic, fuel guzzlers like 172's (I can say that as I have a PPL). An RAA certificate let's you fly small stuff where you might be able to squeeze in two people if you are lucky but no baggage and maybe a little bit of fuel (I can say that because I have recently converted my PPL to RAA). :)

Seriously though. A PPL will allow you to fly something that can take more than 1 pax. It will also allow you to fly into control zones. The upshot of this is that you can pretty much fly anywhere you like (within reason). You can also get add ons that allow you to fly at night, in cloud, etc.

RAA is a cheaper alternative but you can only take 1 pax (once you have done the endorsement) and you can't fly into a control zone. There is a CTA endorsement coming but that may be some time away. You are also limited to day time visual met conditions. The upshot here though is that you get to fly some pretty cool and cheap aircraft.

The best scenario (only because it is what I have!) is to have both. Having a PPL but flying on your RAA certificate allows you to fly an RAA registered plane into a control zone. The only hassle is that your PPL has to be current so you have to keep your medical up to date.

As for which to do? I did my PPL then my RAA but it is cheaper to go the other way. Do your RAA and count these hours towards your PPL. Note though that a PPL allows you to fly CASA registered aircraft and an RAA certificate allows you to fly RAA registered aircraft. You can't fly an RAA aircraft on a PPL or vice versa.

Guest Bretto

Chears mate thanks for that :thumb_up:, makes lot more sense now

OK so i'm set, get RAA first and work my way up from there

Cheers

To look at it from a financial point of view. The PPL will require you to have a medical, for which you have to find a "DAME" that is the doctor to do it and then it has to be approved by CASA. To fly GA you will almost certainly need an ASIC card.

I am not sure of the prices but apart from the DAME's fee they will be posted on CASA web site. My guess is at least $450.

To fly RAAus, you will have membership fees and registration fee for the plane if you own your own. No medical required if you are fit enough to have a drivers licence.

The RAAus fees come round every year, but are Bi-annual for GA, so if you own your own plane they are comparable, but if you hire, my guess is that RAAus is cheaper.

Which licence you opt for really depends upon what type of flying you want to do. If you are tempted to go commercial you will need PPL. If you want to fly for fun only then RAAus is what I would recommend.

Guest Bretto

Thanks Ian - couple things you said there i need to look into further regarding prices etc but yes i will need ASIC and medical certificare etc etc

I have now made up my mind of which way i want to go and have filled out all paperwork to enrol in CPL 150hr course with the Redcliffe Aero Club here in Brisbane

My first stint up in plane will be not this Saturday but next so 31st May

Can't wait

Guest airsick
To fly GA you will almost certainly need an ASIC card.

The ASIC is not licence specific, it is related to the airfield. For example, I fly RAA out of Canberra and so I need one. If you do an RAA licence with Hempels out of Archerfield you will need an ASIC. Regardless of what you fly if you do it from a security controlled airport you will need an ASIC.

In my view, if you plan on doing some trips it is a worthwhile investment (despite it being a pain in the proverbial). You can't even go to Port Macquarie without one these days.

For more info - http://casa.gov.au/fcl/asic/faq.htm#id3285750674