wingless

Guest fly

HI all,

Just a simple question ???

on a T500 Thruster!

Is it OK to fire up a rotax 582 on a T500, minus the wings ?

Will I have any stability/ torque problems ?

Thank You ......................................FLY

There should not be any torque problems as the wheels are still the same distance apart,however....without the weight of the wings behind the main wheels,the tailwheel will have less weight on it.You should be fine to run it if the tailwheel is tied down,rather than just chocking the mains.

Guest TOSGcentral

I concur with Skyhog's comments other than emphasising that with the weight reduction from having the wings off then the power to weight ratio will take mighty leaps forwards and a 582 is certainly going to pull you about a lot more.

You must securely tie the aircraft down and I strongly advise that you do not attempt to taxi it with the wings off.

Tony

Now I'm tippin' that it will go faster on the ground without wings, (all that drag) than it does in the air!!! :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

regards

Big Pete,the thruster would need to do well over 100kts to compare with the fuel economy of my family vehicle.You maybe right in saying it could almost do that with the wings removed,but what worries me is that it has no BRAKES.

Guest ozzie

Hi all.

I remember years ago in the original thruster factory a Thruster being returned for repair. Most of the cockpit and tail group had to be replace. the wings where unmarked they were still brand new. the owner decided to learn to taxi it without the wings fitted. Don't do it.

ozzie