aeropwer engines

mr badger

just wondering how good aeropower engines are reliability,problems, etc anyone have one in a skyfox ? are they any better or any worse than a rotax 912 ??? bit sus on car engines in aircraft !! all views appriceated.

cheers everyone

Mr Badger (not,I assume, related to a mole?), (sorry about that!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif), I have had an Aeropower 2100 installed in my Volksplane for some 350 hrs. I bought it from a re-engined Lightwing when it had about 400hrs. I stripped it down and sent it to Aeropower in WA who rebuilt the core and I fitted new 82mm barrels and reconditioned heads. It runs with a standard Bosch 009 auto distributer and single spark plugs. I run it mostly on avgas, altho I don't mind unleaded with a bit of lead relacement tonic. No problems in the time I've done. This is only one story and I am aware of at least one other that has had bad problems. There are many, many VW powered planes around and they seem to be a good engine (at least if they are well cared for). If u want to ask any further details please ask or PM me. Kind regards, Don

I think what I mostly like about the aeropower is the way the manufacturer modifies the block so that he puts a thrust bearing up at the front of the crank so the thrust from the prop isn't pulled all the way through the crank to the last main bearing where the normally positioned thrust bearing is .. Other vw conversions aparantly don't think this is much of a problem but it seems like a smart idea if you ask me .... there are a fair few more popular vw engines out there as well ,, I have just bought an aerovee so will see how that pans out when I get my plane finished and flying.