Jeppesen CR3 versus E6-B Nav Computers

Mathew Ker

I've just begun my nav training and would like opinions on both the CR3 and E6-B Nav computers, particularly from those who have used both. Key issues are ease of use, both for planning calculations and within a cockpit (like a Jabiru). I'd also be interested whether experienced pilots are still using these regularly for flight planning, or are there some new-fangled gadgets that do the same job?

Regards, Mathew

I've just started nav too and I bought the E-6B. I havent used the other one so cant comment but the E-6B is easy enough to use. Ian has a couple of models on clearprop and I bought the standard size after talking to my instructor. She thought the smaller size might harder to read in bumpy weather.

Scott

Guest airsick

I have used both and my personal preference is for the CR series. I found the others were a bit bulky in the cockpit. I have a CR-2 which I find is a good size, I have an A4 folder that I use in the cockpit and the CR-2 slips nicely into a plastic pocket together with a ruler. The bigger ones won't fit as well.

One piece fo advice though - don't get the electronic ones. You can't use these in a CASA exam (not sure about flight tests) so you need to know how to use the old whizz wheels.

I was introduced to flight planning using a wizz wheel similar to the E6-B and I was surprised at how simple it was to use. I appreciated the 'picture' it gave rather than just some numbers which can sometimes blend into each other. My first nav was over three legs and 63 minutes. Forecast winds were 25kts and we had to fly below the steps leading in and out of Cairns Intl, then negotiate the escarpment en route to Atherton, then stay below cloud flying back to Innisfail. Managed flight and were three minutes over estimated time. Great first nav.

Regards, Mathew

Mathew,

They both do the job. The one's without a slide (Jepessen CR series) are much easier to take with you in the cockpit. If you're young and still blessed with good eyesight, then the CR2 fits nicely in your shirt pocket. If not, then the CR3 is bigger and easier to read.

I agree with the others. Don't waste any money on the electronic ones (and yes, I did!). My CR3 goes on every nav flight. The $150 ASA electronic paperweight is still in its 6 year old box.

Bruce

Drifter Driver, Thanks for the link, I'd already found that and was surprised that it seems to be the only readily available comparison between the two styles of nav computer - that the reason for my enquiry to the more experienced pilots on these forums.

The gist of the article seems to be 'horses for courses' but they'll both do the job. That together with the comments already posted is helping me lean towards the CR2 or CR3 because they're easier to use in flight.

Anyone with additional thoughts would still be appreciated.

Regards, Mathew

I did my nav training in a jab using E6B computer which I found really difficult to operate whilst flying the plane. If I have to do it again I probably will buy CR as opposed to E6B. but now i dont have to worry about any of these gadgets-drifter and trike pilots dont need any of this ;)

cheers

I have used both types and I find the CR easier to use and the small size very convenient. The front side is much the same on both except the CR has a rotating cursor which can aid accurate reading. On the back side, the method for wind calculations is different and I found the CR easier to comprehend but either is easy enough once you get your head around the method. I actually use an E6 because the CR´s are plastic and the examples I had did not survive being left in a cockpit or car on a hot day, the plastic buckled. One of the small E6b variants might be worth a try, easier to manage in a small cockpit provided the eyesight is up to the job.

Cheers.

Guest airsick
I actually use an E6 because the CR´s are plastic and the examples I had did not survive being left in a cockpit or car on a hot day, the plastic buckled.

One of my flying instructors left a CR computer in a table at Kingaroy during a nav. A few weeks went by and he was back there with someone else. He looked for his whiz wheel and sure enough there it was, a bit discoloured from the sun but otherwise fine. This was some years ago now and I know for a fact he is still using the same one! :)

Originally used a CR-2 for my PPL in 1963, then needed more accuracy and invested in a CR-3 for my CPL in 1965. The CR-2 went to a mate, who allowed it to meltdown in a car - about their only weakness. They don't appear to have changed over the years either.

The really important aspect of the wind side of the CR series is to ensure that you calculate the ETAS,(effective TAS), after you have the crosswind correction calculated. This gives you the TAS reduction when flying with large amounts of drift laid off. I failed my 1st CPL NAV theory by ignoring this little point.

You can also work backwards from drift correction to finally end up with wind speed and direction. It's interesting to compare the manual calculation on the CR-3, to the wind data derived off my Garmin 296, and displayed in glowing magenta on the Dynon 180.

happy days,

Guest AusDarren

Thanks Drifter D,

That is a real good comparism article.

I have always used the E6B type myself,

Though it prompts me to Give the CR type a go.

Regards,

AusDarren

Thank you to everyone who has submitted their thoughts. I've just placed an order with "Clear Prop" for an E6-B Nav Computer. My rationale is based on using a very similar computer with my instructor. I particularly find it easy to use for calculating drift and speed for each leg. I'm sure the CR series would be just as easy, but you often feel most comfortable with what you trained on. The other thing in its favour is the all metal construction. This appealed to me more than the plastic CR.

Looking forward to its arrival, together with the Townsville WAC and protractor so I can start planning a bunch of flights (just got to work out where to get a plane! 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif).

Cheers, Mathew

Hi Mat and others

I'd encourage you to keep an eye on ebay as I just purchased a Santech E-6B computer, a square protractor, two rotary azimuth plotters, an airworthy timescale, and a 1 in 60 corrector for $35 including postage.

And I believe there are a few Jeppesen CR3s and CR2s currently floating around at the monent too.

There also seems to be a steady flow of headsets as well, varying in price and quality.

It's worth a look anyway!

Friarpuk

Guest Howard Hughes

CR series is by far the best for all round use! It will serve you from theory, to first solo, to flying a 747, I still carry mine!:thumb_up:

• 1 month later...
Guest maca2790

I have both the Jep and the ASA and I prefer the ASA. It has a Cross Wind and Head Wind Reference table that the Jep doesn't have. I wasn't even going to try and use the E6B while flying I did my PPl NAV just using the old 1 in 60 rule.

They are both easy to use for flight planning, but in all of my PPL traning and afterwoods I have never used a whizz wheel in flight. If you do your planning properly and get familiar with 1 in 60 calcs and the rules of thumb ( the original rules of thumb... the width of your thumb is 10 nm on a WAC... the distance between the end of your thumb and your index finger when you stretch them out is 100 nm ) you should never need to use one in flight,

The only thing I ever used a whiz wheel for ( apart from exams) was the wind triangle calcs and now I just do them with an excel spreadsheet , much quicker, so the whiz wheel has been retired.

If you get a plastic one ... dont leave it in your car or it will end up bitter and twisted... well twisted anyway. The metal E6-Bs are good.

Tezza