High winds shut Wellington airport

Ben Longden

Not sure if this was the right place for this.

Ben

08:32 AEST Sun Jun 29 2008

Gale-force winds have stopped nearly 20 flights in and out of Wellington International Airport, as officials warn it is not safe for passengers and aircrews to walk onto the tarmac.

Some people boarding small planes had been blown over by winds up to 140km/h after leaving the terminal, Radio New Zealand reported.

Bigger planes on main trunk routes were not affected because they use air bridges.

Car ferry crossings between the North and South islands were cancelled because of seven-metre high waves in Cook Strait.

Police closed the main highway linking Wellington with New Zealand's biggest city, Auckland, to the north, because snow made it too dangerous.

Some people boarding small planes had been blown over by winds up to 140km/h after leaving the terminal, Radio New Zealand reported.

Hell Ben doubt if I would board a small plane in those winds.

If I departed in a 140km/h head wind in the Jabiru that im learning in I reckon after about two hours of flight it would put me approx. 10 mins till landing at the airport I previously took off from. lol

Steve

• 1 month later...

Actually it's not. I'll wager they were talking peak gust. RPT generally give it away at around 60KN reported at WLG which means you get peak gusts of about 80KN. (it's usually got a good X-Wind to boot) The small aircraft were probably ATR72's. Sometimes Airline Pilots actually do earn their money! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

These days I only fly good weather; VFR; and no night stuff!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have landed a C206 at Wellington when the Boeings and Fokkers were not flying due wind - particularly X-wind component. On one occassion I had to request wing-tip assistance in order to taxi off the runway!

Interesting place to fly!

Bubba