Aviation Software for a PDA

Guest coolmango

Guest coolmango

I have a PDA (Dell 51v) and I have a blue tooth GPS reciever (the PDA run Windows Mobile 5). Itis a pocket computer with a larger SVGA screen for those who don't know what I am talking about.

Well, I don't use it much except as GPS for the car these days, but I thought I could perhaps find a use for it with my new hobby. It is small had a large screen and I thought it could be of value in a cockpit. Maybe I could set it up and give it to the my club for other members to use. I really don't know, but I hardly use it now anyway.

Does anyone know, or can suggest any software that would be of value to an RA-AUS pilot ? I am sure there must be some software tools, that are not just gimmicks. Can you buy Aviation GPS software for PDA's ? Free would be good ;)

thought it was worth putting it out there and seek an opinion.

Does anyone know, or can suggest any software that would be of value to an RA-AUS pilot ? I am sure there must be some software tools, that are not just gimmicks. Can you buy Aviation GPS software for PDA's ? Free would be good ;)

Absolutely. I use OziExplorer on mine. Looking at the link just now I see there's an update, but I have had no problems at all.It is moving map software. I purchase the relevant VTCs, VNCs and WACs from Maptrax already calibrated for OziExplorerCE (the PDA component). I think the free version works fine if you have the calibrated maps already. If you want to calibrate your own maps, or plan trips via waypoints, routes, etc. you need the full PC based version as well. I bought this and love it. Only about $100 I think. Great value.

I also use the PDA in the car using Co-Pilot software.

Mine is a Mitac Mio 168. I've had it about 4 years now and have no plans to replace it.

I use Oziexplorer too. Excellent program for the price. I have also downloaded all the aerodromes from ERSA in a csv file and imported them as waypoints. Makes building routes very easy.

As Slarti said, the other good thing about Ozi is that you can download any number of maps to it. I have the WACs and ERCs for flying, topo maps for fishing/hunting and touring maps for the car.

Scott

Guest coolmango

Does anyone know of any Aviation GPS software that you can run on a PDA, with a bluetooth GPS reciever ?

Guest Andys@coffs

I too have oziexplorerCE on my Tytn II. Its a phone/GPS/PDA all in one. Slarti's comments re cost were differnet to what I paid a few days ago, $40 for the CE version. The full PC version, which I also have, is $130 now.

That said, you then have the costs of the maps (www.maptrax.com.au) to add on top. Its easy to spend a couple of hundred at maptrax.

Andy

P.S, as a IT guy generally any software that needs a GPS will work with a bluetooth GPS because the bluetooth software built in to the OS presents to the application as a com port, which is exactly how the built in GPS modules present themselves. That said, depending on how old the PDA is, the bluetooth stack can become more difficult to setup. In some cases early BT setups require the owner to poke around in the registry to set the com port characteristics. If the PDA is an early model Google can be invaluable.

Aviation GPS software

I have spent a lot of time looking into this and with help from a fellow flyer (and IT professional Programmer) have selected the Pocket FMS system. It can be downloaded from their non profit site for a nominal fee. The developers are based in Netherlands. There is an active users forum for support and advice. The system is in it's fourth generation and is far ahead of any other downloadable capability for the price. It seems most users are in USA and Aus. It is a mature and stable system and is developed by pilots for pilots.

Downloaded on to a 4GB memory card and inserted into a Mitac Mio 520 (which we bought from Hardley Normal for $300) you have a Garmin 486 capability for less than $450. You can also download the PDA version for your PDA or smartphone. Don't know about iPhone yet.

I use both Ozi and PocketFMS. Both are very good, but PocketFMS is probably better in my opinion as you can keep the some detail regardless of whether you are in a VTC or WAC area. With Ozi and maptrax maps, when you fly over areas not covered by VTCs, the programme automatically uses the closest WAC, which is not that detailed compared to pocketfms maps. Ozi has the advantage though as when you are in controlled space, the maptrax maps show the actual heights very clearly, whereas in pocketfms you can see the control area, but the actual heights aren't as clear.

Hope this helps

gav:)

Guest airsick

For what it is worth I have played with the Approach Systems software and it looks like it costs - cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.

I find it quite clumsy and the maps for Australia are pretty average. E.g. the control zones are not shown for Canberra so bumping into one could be an issue.

It also comes with some gimmicky stuff that isn't really that useful, like an 'artificial' artificial horizon. In my opinion there are better options out there, even if you have to pay for them.