ADS-B and RAA, where do we fit in with the proposed new ATM system

skybum

ADS-B has been bashed to hell and back on most forum that I can think of. A couple of years ago there was very vocal opposition from senior people within RAA. I am just wondering what this group of very level headed recreation aviationists think of the idea of having to carry a new box.

From what I have learnt so far, the end game will have ADS-B carriage in aircraft required to carry a radio. This would mean CTAF® We are awaiting REG103 to be enacted, this will allow RAA licenced pilots to access controlled airspace. To do this will require radio and transponder plus other stuff, I am sure.

For garden variety buzzing around on weekends and sunny days from private aerodromes I see no need to partake of the new technology. Provided the pilot remains clear of RPT and IFR ops then never the twain shall meet. It is when a plastic fantastic wants to get higher and faster and further then things start getting into the world formerly part of GA. With all the requirments of the GA world needing to be fitted.

I have found ADS-B transponders in Europe for about EU2200 TSO, just add a TSO145a/146a GPS to the mix and its certified. MicroAir are considered a goer as soon as the subsidy is given the go ahead with lower airspace roll-out. However, regardless of subsidy. The equipment is available at around the AU$4500 to $5000.

What is everyone's view on this?

Unless ADS-B VDL is allowed for low level ops instead of the current 1090 MHz only version things will get very costly.

The FAA allow for either Mode S, VDL-4 (VHF), or UAT (978 MHz, as made by Garmin) in their proposal.

The point is that 1090 mode S extended squitter or the UAT frequency will allways be expensive, and totally unecessary in our region, wheras getting Microair to make their 760 into a VDL-4 compliant radio would not be that hard to do, and remember the whole reason for going ADS-B as far as FAA was concerned is to save money on ground radars by shutting them off. That means if you are equipped with ADS-B VDL you wont need to fit a 1090 transponder. (which is why Microair will never agree to develop it)

Ralph

Ahh good to see. Most everyone here can see it will not affect their brand of flying.:thumb_up: This argument can continue along academic grounds for reader information if we so wish.

I understand UAT pretty well. Tell us some more on VDL4, Jetboy.

VDL-4 is a specification for transfer of data from aircraft using the aero VHF range. It is implemented in Europe so most info is found from over there. "VHF Data Link" is what it stands for. In a full ADS-B in&out system it would likely consist of a dedicated VHF data radio and antenna. A data radio is simpler than a com radio, therefore can be cheaper, certainly cheaper than mode S, and the range of VHF is far, far greater.

For the lowest form of ADS-B reqd, ADS-B out, it should be perfectly feasable to have the ADS-B controller wired to the existing (new type) com radio "copilot" transmit key line and the radio software organised in such a way that the radio, if not already busy receiving traffic or transmitting on com, will switch to the designated ADS-B channel and send the data burst, then return to previously set com channel. this is a similar function to when you push the "go to emergency frequency" button. The Microair and Xcom already have the hardware and functionality available to do this, however I have not discussed it with them. even my old King KY97A would be able to manage this with a few mods.

Other than a few forums I attended at Oshkosh and fixing up radios and their installations from rag&tubes thru turboprop jump ships, I get most of the background info off the net. Sorry to drag the tech stuff thru gen. discussion, if any more questions perhaps we should move to "radios" or somewhere

Ralph