Lightning Ridge and Far Western NSW Trip

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Hello all,

As a fair few of you from The Oaks were aware, Emma, the children and I headed out to Dubbo then on to Lightning Ridge in the far NW NSW outback last week. We returned home last night. It was an amazing 1500km trip full of adventure and many many happy memories. It always is for Emma and I as we head out this way often. First stop for us was Dubbo where we all visited the Western Plains Zoo. A real highlight for our daughter Jessika who only at 16 months of age already admires amazing animals such as the zebra below. It is trully amazing just how much children appreciate nature.

While in Dubbo I was lucky enough to get a close-up tour of Airlinks VH-RUE a daily visitor to Sydney Airport. At $99 one way I think it's cheaper than driving! Got to have a seat in the office and a walk around this big regional aircraft (big in our u/l standards anyway). Thanks to pilot Rod for this tour. The Beech 1900D below taken from behind the fence the following day (would you believe I did not have my camera on the close-up tour) 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

We were also lucky enough to see a visiting Army Chopper (sorry about the quality. Only so much you can do behind a fence).

From Dubbo it was on to Lightning Ridge. For those of you whom have never been to Lightning Ridge, Emma and I strongly recommend it. It is a town full of beauty and mystery. Extremely friendly locals, extremely cold beer and very very inviting locals. Lightning Ridge to me has the best sunsets in the world. Good too if you are into opals/opal mining. Never mind if you are not into opals though (we are not). There is so much more to see and do. Here are a few snaps of the amazing Lightning Ridge sunset I snapped a few days back. The photos do not do it justice. Go and see the amazing beauty in life!

While at The Ridge I was treated to a flight with Rod (the owner of The Lightning Ridge Caravan Park) in which we stayed. Rod is the proud owner of a Thruster Gemini. Brought back so many memories of my old Thruster! This is one of the few with a chrome exhaust! Well looked after machine here. Rod is an extremely friendly and helpful chap who will be more than happy to sort you out in any way possible. Thanks for your hospitality mate and the wonderful flight and clean and comfortable (and well priced) accomodation in the cabins. :)

Thanks for reading. Hope that you enjoyed it. Should you require any more information about Lightning Ridge/Accomodation/Directions etc, please let me know. Have a look at my web site over the coming weeks too. There will be material on there.

thats for the report! great pics!

sadly all these trips are making me jelous, i hate being grounded finacially, waiting on a house to sell, that wont no thanks to a dodgy agent........

i cant wait to get my own aircraft built as soon as that place sells, and seeing pics of trips like this just makes me reasilse just how much i miss flying purly for the fun of it!!

thanks. ;)

Guest Fred Bear

No problems. I was grounded for about 5 years too so I know the feeling well. We have many many wonderful spots in Australia to fly around. Hope that you will not be grounded much longer:)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest XC Buzzard

Glad to hear you had a great time up here Darren. Im one of the trikers up at the ridge, think i met you. lovely pics but where are all the real machines. ha ha ! See you next trip perhaps . LANCE

Guest Fred Bear

Hello Lance. I think that I have met you before. Are you a friend of Stans? It will be good to catch up next time we make it up there. We love the place. Was going to come up next week but unfortunately due to work commitments I cannot this time. After the new year when it starts to cool off a little I guess. Chris, the pics were taking with a very simple Kodak Easy Share CX7310 3.2mp. It's great as long as you do not use zoom!:ah_oh: I also have a Canon EOS 1000F but it needs to go into repairs. I have a Minolta SLR lying around somewhere too that I have not used for years. One day...