Electrical charging

Guest marbrody

Guest marbrody

A question for my trusty Brains trust?

I operate a 582 inverted on a WB Drifter and have more than the basic instruments and lighting, however I am finding a severe lack of battery performance and am hoping the Brains trust can give me some ideas on ways to keep my battery charged in flight.

Is there a way an altenator could be fitted to the engine or similiar maybe even a wind speed Altenator and if so how would one wire it in?

I understand the 582 UL has electric start battery and generator why not use the parts from this engine if yours is lesser output

You may not be running the engine long enough to replace the power drained during the startingand the battery slowly runs low.

http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_engines/rotax_582UL.htm

this is a link to a forum site discussing same problem

http://groups.google.com.au/group/rec.aviation.ultralight/browse_thread/thread/662bf41831975603/e656a3b8eb15678b%23e656a3b8eb15678b

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/rotax503/wiringtechdata.htm turtle

Guest marbrody

Thank you for your comments, I have the .99 model blue top 582 which you are refering to and my average flight time is 2.2 hours @ any one time with an average of 33 hours flying time per month or 400 per year..so I feel this is not the problem..however i did look at the sites you suggested I look at and did gleen some good advice from them so will see if any of the solutions on those work for me.

Again thank you for your input.

There are a lot of variables to look at.

I understand that your standard generator only charges at about 10 - 12 amps. 2 hours of flight is probably not sufficient to recharge the battery after starting. (you could be drawing up to 200 amps during the cranking period. So you could well be progressivley discharging the battery during the month until you notice the problem.

Perhaps you need to look at your battery capacity. the easiest solution could be a larger battery and charging between flights.

You say you have a lot of other devices fitted so there is a good chance your charge rate is even less.

Guest marbrody

What is an ammeter? or if you mean amp meter then no I do not..I must say that up untill recently I had not given the charging issue much thought untill of course you have a problem.

Guest Kitfox 4004

I have a Bluehead 582 in my Kitfox. Originally we had lots of starting problems with a brand new flooded wet cell battery. We then fitted an Odessy that is called Absorbed Glass Mat or recumbrant and maybe other names. Anyway these put out much more cranking power due to their lower internal resistance. They don't hardly lose their charge either like ordinary [ flooded wet cell ] batteries. They really are in a different class but sadly a lot of people think it's all just sales talk. This is not the case.

I can start and run my plane for only 1/2 hour as many times asI likewith no problems whatsoever on this battery but the flooded wet cell required jump starting most times right from day one.

Others with all sorts of various planes have had similar experience changing to Odessy.

One point though is price. Generally in Australia a PC625 [ USA type No ] Model 700 [ Australia type no ] is over $200 but I ordered mine on the nett from a Batteries4everything.com asI remember it and it was only about $58 US plus posting [ these batteries can be posted as they are classed as dry ] All up it cost approx $130 AU to my Post office box but my best Australian quote was $260 so it was 1/2 price. One downside is it would be hard to claim under warranty by buying from the US. This why the different type numbers on the same battery.

I'm sure one of these batteries will be your answer. Another point though. Do you realise the 582 won't fire below approx 300 RPM ? It can crank over looking very strong on a flooded wet cell but if it's below 300 RPM it will never start. You don't generate ignition below 300.

Hope this helps,

Rex. Kitfox 4004 Renmark Sth Australia

Hi Kitfox 4004

That sounds just like the Jabiru proviso for their engines. I think that they have to crank at 300 rpm to generate a spark - hence it is unlikely that you can do a propair start with a jab as you would need to get to VNE or near it to get the required prop revs per min. You need to pull up near a stall to stop the prop then use the starter motor to get 300+ RPM or no spark. You need to stop the motor spinning to use the stater motor. Obviously you can't do that at low AGLs with the danger of a stall & spin into the ground.

Regards Ross