Brakes & hydraulic lines

old man emu

Has anyone had problems with the brake fluid lines down near the calipers, or has broken off the brake bleeder valve in the caliper?

I'm running across cases of leakage from the lines at the brass connections. Am also finding that the brass bleeder valve seizes in the caliper and breaks off when attempts are made to loosen it.

Old Man Emu

I've had a brass bleeder break off, probably because I tightened it too much. You only need a small amount of tension on them - a very small spanner with a finger or two is all you need, no socket wrenches required.

If the tube is leaking, cut the end off and put in a new olive, there's not much else you can do. Keeping things well lubricated down there is a good thing and will stop any siezing occuring.

you can use a little antisieze on the thread of the bleed valve and other moving parts doesn't take much braking to get the calipers hot and the brass bleeder valve may need to be changed to alloy. If the tubing is of the seamed type change it to seamless. seamed type will crack near the ends and leak make sure the ends are square so they sit evenly in the fittting.

ozzie