Bottom end GPS

Bigglesworth

Since we are only allowed to use GPS as a backup.......

I noticed Wade air are selling the etrex range of GPS. Are they any use at all?

they're on ebay for about $130, to give you an arrow to follow, and to give you co-ordinates, that about all I need.

The next one is the 96 and its a lot more expensive, and doesn't have a 12v adapter facilty. It would still be a better unit, but is it worth that much when I will be retiring it in the not too distant future for a 296 or similar.

GARMIN ETREX H HANDHELD OUTDOOR GPS " BRAND NEW " - eBay, GPS, Electronics. (end time 07-Dec-08 08:44:32 AEDST)

thanks in advance for your help,

Joshua

I use an 'E-Trex' (as a back up of course 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif).

As supplied it is an 'empty' GPS, meaning you have to add all the data that you want in it.

If your extra computer savvy, you can upload a fair bit of info into it, I've done all mine by hand. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Care should be taken to ensure the correct units in the set-up mode to maintain accuracy.

If you hunt around, you could probably do a better deal than $130.

Arthur.

Etrex.jpg.f180b3ef536fca691edb4cf1d542a0ab.jpg

Thanks, just the info I needed.

It'll work, but only just which suits me fine.

As for price, Garmin say RRP is $149AU Wade air sells it for about $195, ebay is at a buy it now of $143, or try to find a lucky deal.......

I'll see if there's anything better out there, but I think I'll be up for $143 if I want it in a hurry.

Thanks,

Joshua

Mr Bigglesworth,

While hunting around for an eTrex GPS, see if you can find an 'eTrex Vista Cx'. They have been superseded by the HCx model, but they are fantastic. Might cost you an extra $100 if you can still find one, but they come with colour screen, high speed USB port, base map, memory upgradeable, and can be configured to give the 296 a run for its money. I own both the Garmin 296 and the eTrex Vista Cx and would not consider a less functional model.

If you use flight planning software you can plug the eTrex Vista Cx or HCx into the USB port and upload your routes and waypoints the same way you do with the Garmin 296. I doubt you'll be able to do that with the H model as it has no basemap and only a serial connection.