Employment within the Aviation Industry

Guest Vigilant

Guest Vigilant

We all go through those "Mid life Crisis" phases and havethe wish for a sea change, but total changes of career fromwhat you find a"grind" to something that you have a passion for are difficult when you don't know where to start.

I suppose from that you can guess the next bit - If a jaded copper of some 15 years experience and only qualified in agriculture and public protection and investigation(quite a mix eh) wanted to do so (and I am not saying that I AM - in case any of my bosses read this forum) where would they start?

Vigilant,

This subject comes up every 2nd day on pprune.org, and it's worth a search on that site to see the numerous and varied replies.

Briefly though, it depends on what your aspirations are. If you'd like to make a career out of instructing - there's plenty of time to get up to this level from late 30's age,and there are jobs for the dedicated career instructor. Being older isn't an impediment for instructing - it can be very advantageous.

From this age group - you'veonly a very limited chance of getting into either regional or mainline RPT, or business flying.

But, you have to fund your training for any aviation career, so you'll need either a rich uncle or a really well paid job. In WA, you could pick up a $100k pa job in the mines, with a 2 weeks ON/ 1 week OFF schedule - which would facilitate flight training. It may not have to be up in the Pilbara either - the BHP Ravensthorpe nickelproject, and the Grange Resources iron ore project are all within an hour or 2 drive of major (cool) south coast towns.

Have heard of many ex coppers getting into the security and OHS areas with resource companies.

It's said that you need $50k for a CPL with Instructor Rating, but this can be reduced lots by sourcing aircraft at the right price.

If you fund your training via a 'mines' job, you'll come out with a fully paid up qualification, and might then be able to take on some part-time instructing to upgrade. Remember that you are starting at the botttom of the pole as a Gr3 instructor, and have to work under supervision for several hundred hours - which is costly to a flight school.

Just a few thoughts, and good luck if you decide to progress the flying career,

happy days,

Guest Vigilant

Thanks poteroo, not necessarily limiting fields to just flying as that is something I want to pursue recreationally as well, but am open to any ideas or suggestions - a journy of a million miles starts with a simple idea.

Cheers Stuart

Hi Stuart, you chances of employment are very limited in Aviation unless you buy a job. Most of the entry level stuff now is taken up by people paying for expirence. Even the old standby of bankruns is now being payed for by people wanting ICUS time. The only way I think you could be employed in Aviaiton is to buy into a business, even then you'd find it cheaper like some other businesses to get people to pay to work for you rather than do it youself.

The average career now starts with parents paying around $70,000 to get lilttle John the quailifications so he can start his long crawl to employment. He then pays for the next 4 or 5 years to work for somebody till he's actually in a position to demand wages. That would be around 500, to 1,000 hours, it would take the 4 or 5 years to build that much up. He then is actually paid to work, usually a pitance and only just above the dole. After a few more years of that he might get say 1,500 hours total time which allows him to pay for a Boeing endorsment for his future employer then he can pay the Airlines to get interviewed. If your extremely lucky you will have spent $100,000 and 5 to 7 years of your life to get a job that they were getting paid 3 times more than they are now 15 years ago.

This is a very cynical but true observation of the GA scene now. You could be lucky and snag a good employer and get that 1 in 5000 job or as I said you could buy into a business and cruise along instructing and doing a very odd charter. My advice would be stay out of Aviaiton, get a well paid consultancy job and just enjoy recreational Aviation in an RAA or GA Aircraft. That way you go flying when you want to and for enjoyment.

Guest Vigilant

Thanks Cecil, glad I am having a glass of wine whilst reading that!!! But I hear what you are saying, flying should be fun and I have even dipped my toes back towards the RAAF and they are keen. The real problem arises that it means a wage drop of around $30K and I am not too keen on THAT, how would I pay for flying lessons ;).gif

You will find that most people that fly for a living do not do it for the money. It is a great job and i enjoy every minute of it. There are jobs out there, you just need to be prepared to look for them and move around. There is all to many pilots out there that pay the money and expect it to come easy for them.. How many good jobs out there just fall in your lap?

My advice from someone who is in G.A. unless you are prepared to work for pretty low wages (at least at first) and move to where the work is. Stay with a job that you can stand and keep flying a hobby. Do your RAA Cert and get some hours and experiance and then go do an instructor rating and spend your weekends at the field with like minded people.

Sure flying for a living can be awsome fun but like anything after a few years it becomes just another job! Saying that I still won't trade it for an office job!

Adam.

Hi Vigilant,

Mate I read your back ground and thought "thats me". I was 16 years vicpol, but have made the jump. It can be done and I don't regret a thing (well, mostly!).

Yesterday I was flying one of the Jabiru's I use to work at Bacchus Marshto meet a student. I left at about 7.30 on a beautiful clear still morning. I watched the traffic on the freeway to work and was feeling very lucky.

Landing at Bacchus Marsh to do a couple of lessons I flew over a police car when landing. That made me think......

ask yourself "where would you rather be? In the air on an adventure? Or driving a divvy van?"

Personal message me if you want some more detailed advice

Guest Vigilant

Thanks blueline, I will drop youa pm, I would be interested to see how you dealt with casting off the "golden handcuffs". My better half is nearly finished her teaching degree which may make the decision that much easier - swings and roundabouts!!

life as a "D" is certainly better than driving a divvy van but the stress level is so much higher. I feel the same when talking to old RAAF mates with the nostalgia thing!

Cheers Vigilant