Just Landed

Guest Llew

Hello,

My name is Llew, I bought a Hughes Lightwing about a year ago. I am a retired marine engineer, who has been ashore these last 30 years. Working as a self employed auto mechanic. My son and I bought this property " Gravel Ridge " some 25 years ago. We have recently built an airstrip, about a k long. The Ridge is located about 50k west of Dalby Qld, on the Moonie Hwy. GPS reff 27*1958'.24 S. 150*5321'.64 E. Everyone is welcome to fly in, or drive. We have free camping sites, power and water is available at the hanger. If flying in please ring 07 4668 2174, so we can get the horses off the airstrip. We would also like to start a club, any one interested please phone. We offer free tie downs and the company will donate a hanger site, if the club members wish to build a hanger. Take a look at my web site www.angelfire.com/mt/llew It has pics of the property and sirstrip.

I am a friendly guy, so anyone who wants to phone please do or email me at [email protected] .

Cheers Llew :big_grin:

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Llew and thank you for your friendly invitation to use your property. I'm based in FNQ, have recently completed my flying training with nav and pax endorsements. Working on how I can find a plane to fly now! Hope these forums help with information and contacts.

Cheers, Mathew

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome Llew, Nice of you to offer the flyers amongst us a new place to land. Very friendly. How's you'r Lightwing going, send some details, and tell us a bit about it please. Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj

Hi Maj,

Looks like u have a Lightwing too.

Mine is an 89 model, has a 618 engine. and I think it goes very well. I am hoping that the 760 KG rule goes through. I would like to fit a bigger engine. I am told the 1.8 liter Suzki engine is a good aircraft engine. Do you have any knowledge of this.

I supose I would have to change the registration from 25 to experimental.

Hope u will visit one day.

Llew

Guest Maj Millard

Hi again Llew, I don't have any experience with the 618, Rotax did discontinue them and I did hear of some probs with the exhaust reed valve set up, from others. Understood they were fine otherwise, and certainly had good horsepower figures.

I have flown Lightwings with 532 and 582s, and they do fine with just about anything up front, considering they originally had an Aeropower VW, and there are still some of those around. (one around Kingaroy I think). The 80hp 912 would be a good choice if you could pick one up at the right price, and they are real nice of course with the 912s.100hp. I'm hoping to fly South some time early next year, might drop in then. Cheers and seasons greetings. Ross 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif