Great Eastern Fly-in Evans Head

slartibartfast

I am surprised that there hasn't been a reply yet.

Unfortunately due to dirty weather on the Friday and Saturday, fly in aircraft numbers were well down on previous years. Sunday was the best flying day with initially high cloud clearing to a sunny afternoon. There was a gusting wind blowing across the main strip but not enough to bother anyone.

Display aircraft consisted of a couple of Trojans, a Yak, a Mustang, two Winjeels, the DH Dragon, a Fletcher super spreader, a CT4 and a Tiger Moth.

The Bell 47 from Ballina was in continuous operation for joy flights. The woman who flies this thing is amazing, even in the gusty conditions she would hover taxi without the slightest wobble.

Wayne Fisher demonstrated his ability in the Drifter and ran TIFs all day. Ian Ellis showed off his Savannah and took many prospective clients (including myself) for test flights.

It was interesting watching the public fighting their personal demons re ultralights and flying in general in making the choice to go for a TIF in the Drifter. Wayne would brief them and get them strapped in, they would give a nervous smile to their friends or family and away they would go. When it was over the big grins un-diluted by their previous worries and the exclamations of how amazing it was showed all their friends and family what we already know. This sort of access for the non-flying but interested public can only be a shot in the arm for our passtime.

There were a couple of the latest 912s/914 powered tandem Gyros doing TIFs as well, these things weren't even aware that it was windy, one pilot was performing almost vertical descents into the breeze.

The black, red and silver drifter that i think belongs to forum member Keeffe arrived Sunday and was active in the area.

The RC crew demonstrated their stuff as well. An 18kg thrust turbine F15, a turbine Mig performed in the gusty conditions with out incident. The most amazing RC aircraft was the pylon racer that moves at over 200kph and must pull the most stunning G's in a turn. I think if the pilot just sneezed or blinked away a fly there would have just been a yellow plastic smudge up the runway.

Apparently there were no incidents and no cases of get there'itis in the initially dodgy conditions.

Interestingly in the local media, one day they reported on the success of the event (sponsored in part by the local council) and the next they reported on the possible demise of Evans Head aerodrome in favour of a nursing home/retirement village. This has the support of local government who have been gradually nibbling away at the airfield for housing. There has been some talk of an air park but the idea seems to be on the nose with council.

It would make a fairly amazing airpark however, the location is stunning.

One day, assuming Richmond Valley Council don't bugger things up, i will get to this event via the air, for the mean time the low flying Ford powered Falcon will have to do.

Luke

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply on this one, but i've been tied up moving family between states.

I managed to get there by car. It was my first visit to the great eastern and evans head for that matter. I've driven past many times and had no idea it was so close.

It was a great event. Dispite the cloud cover, I still managed to get horribly burned. (All that looking up) Not much to add to the above except that the Trojans, Yaks and the Mustang with that amazing merlin roar provided fantastic low passes across the airfield. I got some mobile phone video of it that i'll try to post when I figure it out(let you know when i do).

I took the oportunity to see what all the fuss is with the Drifter. Having only trained in Jabs and Tecnams, I have been ignorant for too long of the bugs in your teeth flying experience. Well no more! Wayne was kind enough to give me the front seat for my tif (though I'd never flown a tail wheel) and I have to say I was a little nervous on the very swift enter and backtrack on 18. But climbing to 1000ft my nervous over controlling movements quickly gave way to utter amazement at the uninterupted view of beautiful Evans Head. Looking down at the instruments was (virtually) useless except for checking engine performance. You really are flying by feel with the Drifter. I did a few turns as Wayne gave me pointers on how she flies. Then he showed me how the Drifter really performs and back to the airfield for a swoop down to the grass side strip and some amazing ground handling to finish up.

I recomend it to anyone out there who like me thought the low inertia high drag(though the Drifter glides quite well I discovered) is only for the fool hardy. You really haven't experienced real flying till you've felt the wind in your hair. Go do it!

Not many photos but here's a few.

Ant.

03012009251.jpg.6d6d364eec0eaa371fc8fe0b045854b1.jpg

03012009260.jpg.0f188ae2841f1d8a41239d6a9a27684f.jpg

03012009262.jpg.24cd0abb6853bf787a11b062e9b5f8e0.jpg

03012009255.jpg.012acc23ea9038a40a8b834bfe4553f5.jpg

04012009267.jpg.4ee68ee074ddaf4411a457c2971831f7.jpg