Garmin overheat !

timshel

Hi all, I was recently at camden and it was HOT, I mean OAT was reading about 41 C. I have no idea how hot it got inside the plane sitting on the tarmac for a few hours but I got in to fly the plane home at 4pm burned my bum on the hot leather seats, and the Garmin 296 failed to load its database. All of my user way points were there, as was the topographical data, power lines etc. but airspace, licenced airports, wx, and any of my programed routes were inactive and missing. Even when we were well and truly cooled down and cruisng home, the unit failed to load the avaiation database. I was about to ring Garmin in the US late that night when I turned it on and presto it all fixed it self. I will be taking it out of the cockpit on hot days from now on. Also on the same day my EFIS Dynon d100 was reporting eroneous Altitude, for about 20 mins until it cooled and My lightspeed headsets ANR still don't work. They are fried. I will be getting a canopy cover to keep the heat out from now on. Some of you will probably say err...duh of course!!! I put it out there because it happened to me.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Guest pelorus32

G'day Tim,

amazing how hot it gets. The 296s seem to be a bit sensitive to heat but come back to life when they cool down as yours did.

The solution to the problem is to come and fly where I am in Italy at the moment. It topped out at 8 degrees today and the dewpoint is 7 so it's pretty damp and clammy.

Aircraft perform marvelously if you can ever get the oil temp off the bottom stop!!

Regards

Mike

Sunshine and GPS.

I am concerned about the temp that these units get to even in flight. I have made a practice of wrapping my 296 in a paper towellette, to shield it from the direct sun. Being black, they absorb more heat..... Nev