Drifter vs Jabiru for training

Tomo

Guest Cloudsuck
You blokes missed my sarcasm, I was inferring a nosewheel should not be called a "Nose dragger". The correct terms would be Nosewheel and conventional undercarriage.

Don't worry SP, I got it. They miss my sarcasm as well, not one comedian amongst them :clown:

Don't worry SP, I got it. They miss my sarcasm as well, not one comedian amongst them :clown:

You sure about dat...i_dunno:question:

But then again, they say I've got dry humor so you'll just have to look past the cracks....;)

You sure about dat...i_dunno:question:But then again, they say I've got dry humor so you'll just have to look past the cracks....;)

Chief, flying is with you for life. You will want to learn as much as you can in as many different aircraft as you can. It's all man and machine.

I learn't in a drifter and own one they are very easy to fly. When I stepped into a 160 I had to almost relearn to fly again. It took me 5 hours to get an endorsement on a 160 and get used to the landing attutude etc etc. Not to mention the cockpit mangagement skills you need to learn.

At the end of the day I would recommend drifter first, just to be able to say I have flown one has to be a good enough reason. However everything will happen much slower in the 160 once you have got a handle on the drifter. Even the drifter seems fast when your instructor is yelling profanity at you.

Happy flying.

Michael

When I stepped into a 160 I had to almost relearn to fly again. It took me 5 hours to get an endorsement on a 160 and get used to the landing attutude etc etc.

That's what i'm concerned about, the drifter is cheaper to start with, but when I do the change over i may be just as bad off...but never mind I will be flying an airplane and thats what it's all about. the Jabiru that I would change up to is the J120, but it's most likely got the same feeling as the 160.

Anyway I'll soon find out when I start with everything, and that's after the long weekend...:thumb_up::thumb_up:

Tomo, the j120 is like the old LSA-55 which I have not flown. I am told these are much easier to fly than a 160.

Good luck deciding

Guest bigblockford545

I've flow the Jaby 120, LSA and the 160. The isn't that much difference between the LSA and 120 but the 160 requires more power everywhere climbs ALOT slower than either the 120 or the LSA and at idle drops like a stone. It does hold over twice as much fuel as either the 120 or LSA but my back requires a stretch well before I can deplete the tank on an LSA. The 160's on redeeming feature is electric flaps.:thumb_up:

Have fun

Simon

• 1 month later...

I'm sure there would be others out there wondering the same thing I did with this issue, so I thought I'd enlighten you all to what I've found out and experienced between the two...

My first impression of the Drifter was a that it looked a little bit flimsy, but after the first flight It got me hooked and I now know they are a very tuff little machine...

And as I'm sure all the others that fly Drifters know, you really got to use rudder, a great skill I would think, also being light it gets blown around a fair bit, so you've really got to fly the thing, not just sit back and let it fly straight and level all by it self. A great thing when learning if you ask me. Although on a still day it will fly like a rock once trimmed out...

For those daunted by the out doors'y thing, after the first flight it really is quite nice to be out there in the breeze, especially in the summer I would think! I tell people its a motor bike of the air...:thumb_up:

Now the Jabiru is still my favorite little aircraft, and I had the privilege to go for a flight in one on Sunday, J120, (the one I will be using for my Nav's etc...) Now I didn't take it off or land it, but I did have a fly of it, and after flying the Drifter and then flying the Jabiru around, it was exceedingly easy to do... very responsive and a lot faster, and it doesn't get blown around as much as the Drifter... You do notice the the visibility problem though, (well not really a problem). But compared to the Drifter where you've got a view pretty much wherever you look...;)

So If someone asks me now (if they had the choice between the two acft mentioned), I would deffenitly tell them to go the Drifter first, and then whatever next, and you will find it like going from the old manual typewriter, to the key board in front of you...;) (and yes, I speak from experience...I learn't my typing on an old manual ribbon type writer:thumb_up:) And when you move to the computer key board, all you pretty much got to watch out for is that you don't push the keys through the bench, and sweep the monitor off the table...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Have Fun:thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

I feel a bit sorry for people who haven't experienced a Drifter, really what the UL experience is all about..................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I feel a bit sorry for people who haven't experienced a Drifter, really what the UL experience is all about..................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Flying a drifter on a cold winter morning with not a trace of wind, looking out over the mountains............. Yeah, I'll take that any day.

Well we haven't discussed much at all actually, he just said that the drifter TEACHES you to fly, wheres the Jab doesn't...and it would be easier to upgrade than downgrade (so to speak)...,

G`Day Tomo,

Maybe we should start a thread on the, definition of flying.

If you like the wind in the face and unobstructed visibility, then go for the Drifter,you can`t go wrong as far as practical experience is concerned,anything you gain will assist you,long term.

In my opinion hard and easy is relative,what I may find easy could be hard to you, everyones ability is unique to themselves,simple look at it as something to learn, to do,not as hard or easy.

Regards,

Frank.

"Flying Is Easy,Crashing Is Hard".

Thanks Frank,

What your saying is very true, but the reason I did write what I did is to give an overall idea for another person...

You would know yourself that it takes an average person a little longer to go solo in something like the Drifter, than it would in a Tecnam P92 or something like that...

Cheers,

As the other fellas have alluded to, if you don't start in a drifter, you will be missing something in your flying career until you do and I have been telling those I know who have just kicked off flying a J160's and 230's.

For me, learning in drifter then moving across to a J160 was like going from a manual car to an auto when it came to take off and landing. The flaps etc on the Jab was just like having a few extra buttons on the stereo.

I can confirm that for me the J160 is a little more demanding than an LSA or J120 as it has a heavier and slower feel and less float etc when landing.

If it means anything, I recently went for a fly in a Tecnam P92 which I found to be a piece of cake. The instructor commented that she has found that people whop learnt in drifters and the like make far better pilots that people starting on heavier stuff.

Nothing the others haven't said, just my 2 cents.....

hi all

I dont get in here much but anyhow, If a students wants to learn to fly the Instructor at the school should ask the student

1. why would like to learn ?

2. what purpose do you have in mind for your flying later on IE: maybe GA? or you could be a property owner on 10000 acres? or just fun?

3. inform the student of what type of aircraft you have on line (some schools only have one some have 3 or more different types)

3. If students wants to travel around aussie land then a HP aircraft maybe the go

4. A Property owner just wants to fly around to check fences & pumps then a LH aircraft maybe the go

5. Heaps of pilots run rage and tube LH out back QLD there strong and can handle the rough strips (what strips)

6. For new students doing the rounds looking at different schools and what they have to offer, I suggest ask the school what planes they have on line, if they have a few different types go for a TIF on all of them and go for the one your comfortable in and meets your neads NOT the instructors neads

just my thoughts

ill pop in again sometime \cheers

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I'm think there are people who learn to fly for something to do and there are people who learn to fly with the intention of buying a plane. Sure there are other reasons for flying too but these seem to be the main reasons in RA. I would go the drifter if I was planning to buy a plane as you can buy a perfect drifter for under $20k and one with a simple 2 stroke engine will be easy to maintain for someone just starting to learn about motors.