Come on Aussies, I want a show of hands.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brett Campany

That's a nice looking aircraft. Adrien, whack a 100hp Rotax in her and she'll go like the clappers!

I reckon anywhere from $70,000 - $85,000 as a kit maybe?

The idea is to get as many planes flying as possible, using groups of people to reduce the total time and cost.

I want to see everyone getting good value.

If you need to sell your plane due to ill heath of some other reason it would be good to do so and make a profit, but the actual flying part is the goal.

Two people I know who have built Mustang IIs and still very happy with them many years later. An earlier generation of instrumentation and systems. All those I know with the RVs are also very happy. I've flown both and I won't make any recommendations as to which is better as my choice is also the Laser.The Laser is just so nice to fly and easy to land. Goes where you point it. I had several party tricks in it:

- multiple rolls, alternating aileron & snaps

- vertical line, at the speed where you'd normally hit the rudder for a stall turn, ease the stick forward and point it horizontal then hold the stick all the way back to hold it there, way below the stall speed , sit and wait until it accelerates, unstalls and continues to fly away S&L

I've observed various combinations of groups and partnerships and two people sharing the effort in building two aeroplanes. Rarely seen success - as is often the case when more than one person is involved - differing opinions on how to do stuff, different availability, different levels of motivation, different levels of effort & money put in - over a period of time just results in arguments and friends no more. Worth a try as there are benefits all round, just make allowances for when/if things go wrong.

I cant wait till the day i get to fly such a cool aircraft.

I like the way you think. I am thinking on a different level. For those who just want something to fly I would like to see something like a group of people building things like 2 seat thrusters with Rotax 582's. Would give anything to be in a group building a few new thrusters together.....

I like the way you think. I am thinking on a different level. For those who just want something to fly I would like to see something like a group of people building things like 2 seat thrusters with Rotax 582's. Would give both my testicles to be in a group building a few new thrusters together.....

you might want to keep those so you can make some swimmers, that turn into crawlers, that turn into walkers that finally turn into flyers.

Yep that may be right but you are missing the principal of my idea behind it. Your idea is to get experienced people together to build and fly hi powered A/C who have the money and know how to do so, this will enable them to save a bit of cash and get to learn new methods of building, new friendships as was mentioned Etc which to you is a commendable thing you are trying to achieve.

My idea is to give people who don't have allot of money the opportunity to build and fly there very own A/C at very little cost and it will also give the builder, (most of whom will be new pilots with very limited knowledge, money Etc) the opportunity to learn about A/C structures, test flights Etc, all of the fundamentals which will be vital in a new pilots career wether it be private or commercial. This will also give the budding fresh pilot like myself a better understanding as to how these things get into the air, Maintenance tequnique, Etc.

Believe me, if i could afford to run a 6 Cyl Jabb i would be the first to put my hand up for your project (would love to do 100 + Kts in my own airplane) but unfortunately not only can i not afford the money to run a 6 Cyl jabb I can't Afford the $80 Odd K to build a kit.

Lets hope both projects get into the "production" stage rather than just a thought. It would be great to see it relay take off.

WOW I love the idea and would love to talk further on this. Just an idea what about the Rand KR Series Aircraft. there is the KR 1 which is a single seat and the KR 2 which obviously is a 2 seat. a friend is building the KR 1 but has slightly modified the fuzz to be a bit wider. Looks easy enough to build but it is a daunting task for me. But if we had the manpower and tooling we could make these like a production line.KR Home Page

You have a friend building a KR-1! That aircraft is so good looking, kitplanes has the complete cost at $9k-$15k in $US. Does your friend live in the sydney area? I would like to have a look at this plane.

That would be a much better "for the people" aircraft than the laser. And it uses a vw 1835cc so that would turn into a 2200 jab.

How many people like the idea of of building a kr-1?

Hate to be on the negative side, but if you were building planes on the production line side, and you were only building the horizontal stabiliser, then you wouldn't satisfy the 51% rule, and would not have any real idea about the plane as a whole, or how it all goes together. This of course is a huge benefit when it comes to the maintenance of the aircraft.

Agree that it would be a huge time saver, but from my perspective would defeat one of the major reasons for building your own plane, the satisfaction, knowledge and skill you would gain from the project.

Any way , that is my opinion, and I am sure there are many people out there which are more interested in the building as a cost saving, despite the huge amount of time invested in the project.

Hi all, My mate is peter, and he lives in Melbourne. he is building a KR-1 modified with a slightly wider fuzz. He has a Jab 1.6 (1600) engine for it but the jab 2.2 will bolt straight in without modification. He has the 1.6 due to getting it for a slab of beer.

why build the KR-1 when you can build the KR-2 for approx. 1K more, jee wizz i don't think it would even be that much more. I would rather 2 seats than one. the Jab 2.2 will be more than sufficient in the front of the KR-2

I will Endeavor to get some pics of the aircraft this weekend to show you all.

In regards to building and breaking the 51% rule, we can all make the jigs Etc but you have to lay the glass, cut bits and pieces BUT you can have friends help you as long as you are in control of the building, it is a catch 22 but workable. most of this plane is in the preparation so you can have people help with this.

I have downloaded a heap of information and buildings articles of this plane, not an easy feat on your own but with friends it would be great,easy and very do-able.

Remember if we done this a J 2.2 engine is say $13000 if 5 of us built these we go to jabiru and say "we want 5 how much" we might save 1K each ? not sure. but the same the wood, metal, props, instruments Etc you get the drift....

I must admit i like the look of the KR-2S Relay nice, sleek and cruises bloody fast.

Guest basscheffers

Yeah, that's what I thought looking at the specs. Just like the Mustang II. All nice planes, but not for me - too squeezy.

That's an issue with any of the cheaper kits I have seen. Or even the not so cheap ones, actually.

Being a big bloke certainly limits your choices!

has any one seen this site, the construction technique is simple looking, similar to the Aussie guy "Pylon-500"

The Arnold Company's Homepage

this aircraft made bigger to fit us larger guys would be cool,

I have a list of planes i keep in my phone constantly, the AR-5 is defiantly on this list.

These are the others just to show what i like:

AR-5 and 6

Flying-machines B-612

ATEC 212 solo

spacek sd-1 minisport

laser z-200