Just bought my first GPS...

moy71

Well I've done my small part to help the economy by splurging on my very first GSP. It is a Garmin 96 which is the cheapest one around. Monochrome monitor but it is rather sharp/clear for a small screen so I am not too fussed about it.

After updating to the latest Jeppessen maps last night, I found out that the smaller flying fields are NOT listed (ie Mittagong, The Oaks to name a few). Bit annoyed about this but I have worked around this by putting in a manual waypoint which represents where these fields should be.

Does anyone have a better solution than this? Appreciate your comments/tips.

Cheers

Guest pelorus32

In the Garmin version of the Jep database some of the smaller airfields are unaccountably listed as HLSs. I have no experience with the 96 but with the 296 you can turn on or off the visibility of things like HLSs and all of a sudden you get airfields that you thought weren't there before. Wallan in Victoria used to be one such airfield.

However some are definitely not there.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32
Hello Mike. Can you please explain what HLS stands for? Sorry newbie here....

Helicopter Landing Site - some strips appear to be mis-categorised.

On my 296 you go to a map page -> press menu -> Set Up Map -> Airport Tab -> Turn On Small Airport, Private Airport and Heliport -> Quit

Your interface may differ.

Regards

Mike

Guest Maj Millard

Don't be disappointed with your 96, it will give you all you need. If an airport isn't on your Jepp memory, that's a damn good excuse to fly over and mark it in your memory.

I just bought an aircraft with a Garmin 295 in it and I promptly pulled it out and sold it. It blocked too many guages anyway. I still use my first GPS which is only a Garmin 12. (See it there on the left in a Storch)

It points me in the right direction, gives me ground speed, gives me head/tail winds, and lets me know when I'm ten out, also altitude of course. There are no obnoxious bells and whistles to distract, and it makes me still use my maps and basic nav check skills, which I'll need when the yanks turn off the satilites, when I am half way to Timbuktu.

Guest basscheffers

There is a list of Australian airfields here in (amongst others) Garmin POI format:

POI Converter - Online Tool

There's about 1500 of them, which might be too much for your GPS and there will be overlap anyway. So you may have to do some selective uploading to the unit.

I can not vouch for the accuracy - always check with a map (or at least Google Earth) to verify the location before going there in IMC! ;-)