Another newbie

Guest kiwilad

Guest kiwilad

Gidday all

Thought I'd better introduce myself,as I'l probably spend a bit of time lurking round here.I'm 43 ,rekindling my interest in flying after many years.Decided to give the trikes a go this time round,start training this week on the west coast of NZ.

Welcome

Welcome Kiwilad,

Good to have another addition to the Trike fraternity around here :thumb_up:

I have recently completed my training at Bright in Victoria (a great place to fly).

I have 24hrs under my belt now and on Thursday I did my passsenger endorsement.

Yesterday evening I took my wife and 2 kids flying for a half hour each and they loved it. :big_grin:

What make of trike will you be flying while you are training?

Regards Bill

Guest kiwilad

Hi Bill

Unless I can find something suitable myself,will be training in the instructers pegasus.Busy looking for an Airborne for myself,not having a lot of joy so far.Sounds like you're having a great time though

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there Kiwilad

Great to hear from another Trike student. I am learning in Bunbury WA - 13 hrs so far and have just taken delivery of my Airborne 912. Loving every minute of it as I am sure you will also. Hope you keep it up and look forward to hearing how your training is going. Fly safe. Regards, JIM

Guest kiwilad

Cheers Guys,Its on the go slow here at the moment,my original instructor had a fatal crash,bloody good guy he was.Just brought a Solowings windlass off this site,waiting for it to turn up this side of the ditch,then try again

Guest kiwilad

Hi Philip,Yer was Alec Charles,he was co-owner of Tasman Sky Adventures in Motueka (the trikes).I was there in the weekend,guess the skyarrow that went in was also on his way home from the fly-in

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AnGrobler

Hi Kiwilad

So sorry to hear about your instructor. Do they know what caused the crash yet?

Good to hear you're still flying though - how many hours do you have logged?

Regards

An

Guest kiwilad

Havn't heard anything official yet,but they summise that he got into a bad roter on the back side of a steep ridge and cartwheeled forwards

Guest kiwilad

Hi Travis

I did about 15 hrs of my ppl ,10 yrs ago,never liked being stuck in an enclosed cockpit.I decided recently to do a scenic flight with a trike outfit over here,that did it,what an awesome way to fly,so I'm off

Guest travis

open and enclosed cockpits

hi again , ok fair enough i dont mind either but i have taken a few passengers up who aint real keen on planes and they have commented on how they like the open cockpit better . they are great fun to fly and on a nice day its good to have the open air but not so good in the cold but good in the heat as u can find the right tempriture and its great

Guest AnGrobler

Being slightly claustrophobic myself, I guess having an open cockpit was what made me choose trikes above anything else. I also love it because after everything I've tried (including parachuting, gliding, helicopters and other small planes) I believe it's the closest you can come to flying like a bird.

Guest kiwilad

Yep, thats the one,tried paragliding too,that was neat but still want to be able to go up when I say up.The trike I've bought hasnt even got a pod to block the scenery

Guest AnGrobler

Oh nice - love it!

LOL they advertise it with the following line:

"You don't have to be beautiful to fly a Dragonfly

- compared to the competition the Dragonfly is beautiful enough for the both of you"