j230d 10 ply 6 inch tyres

Dayble

• 1 month later...

Update on 10plys

Hi ChrisBoth my mate and I have fitted 10ply Trelleborgs to our 430 and 160 and are very happy with them. In terms of my 160, I needed to add a small spacer (3mm) on the outside axle mounting point to hold out the spat a little to ensure clearance.

I bought them from M&C Tyres (talk to Adam) http://mctyresbendigo.com.au/specials.cgi for $88.00 each + tubes. Make sure you get 90 deg metal valve necks (not straight rubber as they won’t fit) tubes. I didn’t fit the 10ply to the nose wheel and left the 6ply in place as the clearance looked marginal.

Fitting is fun (not) but suggest you get access to a tyre press … For what it’s worth, I did the following procedure:

• Break the rim seal on the side opposite the value … however you will only need to move this by about 5-10 mm as you run the risk of a tube pinch if you go too far.

• Unbolt the wheel hub (including brake disc) and then by hand spread the rims halves apart and fit a small bock of wood (10 or 12 mm is enough) between the two halves. (NB. The wheel has almost no taper or rim well to relief the pressure off the tyre bead so you need to create a gap by holding the rim apart with a small piece of wood).

• Then continue to press the tyre off the rim towards gap between the halves, but do this from the opposite side to the valve.

• Once you have the rim half out of the tyre, remove the tube.

• Turn the wheel over and place your block of wood to support the inside of the rim and then press the tyre off the rim.

Fitting:

• Soap up the tyre bead and hand push in the valve side of the rim.

• Powder up the tube with talcum and slightly inflate and fit value neck and push tube into the tyre. (You only need a small amount of air in the tube to stop in getting between the two halves when you bolt up … too much air will make it impossible to push the halves together to get your bolts back in).

• Soap up the other half of the rim and push in and bolt up. (make sure you match the halves as per the disassembly and keep every thing is clean)

• Fully inflate and make sure you have an even bead line around the rim and it fully in place.

• Balance and refit to your aircraft.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Jack

We now have the 10plys on our 230 and will shortly fit to our 160.. No problems with them at all; we run them at 25psi. Further to the detailed installation instructions from Jack (above) we found a couple of tricks with no press available to us:

We assembled the wheels loosely with a bit of air in the tube, and because there is no way that the through bolts are going to reach, we used 2 extra long bolts of the same diameter. Used those to pull the 2 rim halves together, then put 2 of the 4 standard bolts in; then remove the 2 long bolts and stuck in the other 2 standard bolts. The other advantage of this is you are pulling the 2 rims together slowly with the 2 long bolts, so can easily check for tube protrusions as you go.

Also, to ensure the spats didnt rub on the 230, we sanded the bottom edges of each spat back a bit - where they roll under on the bottom edge.

Job done. :thumb_up:

Chris

www.centralwestflying.com

Fully concur with above advice for fitting. I found a bench vice with wooded jaw protectors of use to hold one side of wheel then use cramps over wooden strips on the other side.

As this is not a simple task, I carry a spare tyre/innertube already inflated on a wheel with brake disk. I also carry small especially sized blocks of wood as jacks to support the aircraft on under the external undercarriage leg and appropriate spanners. If I get a flat I still still need someone to lift one wing whilst the wooden jack is located in position but then it's just a matter of taking off the stub axle - one nut & bolt - and the brake caliper - two nuts & bolts to remove flat wheel. Replace with spare in reverse order. About 5 minutes work. Fix the flat at home at leisure.

Cheers,

See you at Temora

Mark

Jab rim wanted

Fully concur with above advice for fitting. I found a bench vice with wooded jaw protectors of use to hold one side of wheel then use cramps over wooden strips on the other side.As this is not a simple task, I carry a spare tyre/innertube already inflated on a wheel with brake disk. I also carry small especially sized blocks of wood as jacks to support the aircraft on under the external undercarriage leg and appropriate spanners. If I get a flat I still still need someone to lift one wing whilst the wooden jack is located in position but then it's just a matter of taking off the stub axle - one nut & bolt - and the brake caliper - two nuts & bolts to remove flat wheel. Replace with spare in reverse order. About 5 minutes work. Fix the flat at home at leisure.

Cheers,

See you at Temora

Mark

Great idea... Anyone know where there are some used Jab rims???