Are you medically fit for a Class 2?

Turnerj

Are you Medically fit for a Class 2 medical?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Medically fit for a Class 2 medical?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure (would have to consult a DAME)

Clarification.

To Andy. The co-pilot restriction is that you may only operate as the CO-PILOT. IF the plane operates with single pilot then YOU cannot be it. You can be the passenger but you don't need to do a medical for that. The situation that you are referring to is basically for Airlines, and probably where an improvement with time MAY permit the re issue of a class one. ( That's how it used to be ). Nev

Guest Andys@coffs
To Andy. The co-pilot restriction is that you may only operate as the CO-PILOT. IF the plane operates with single pilot then YOU cannot be it. You can be the passenger but you don't need to do a medical for that. The situation that you are referring to is basically for Airlines, and probably where an improvement with time MAY permit the re issue of a class one. ( That's how it used to be ). Nev

Thanks Nev... whether you are PIC or Co-Pilot, in a jabiru there isnt that much difference, but I accept the point of clarification and understand the impact for a commercial pilot.

as to the "...where there is improvement with time" statement, Im usure if you are referning to potential changes in legislation that may benefit in time, or the reversal of diabetes due to changes in lifestyles etc.

If the latter then that relates only to type 2 diabetes and not the type 1 I have. Type 2 is the "boggy man" that is always in the media due to increasing rates of affliction.Type 2 can mostly be reversed with some major changes in lifestyle.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease where the body turns on the cells that generate insulin and kills them off. At present, once that has happened, there is no "getting better" what there is, is differing patient understandings on what has happened and how that impacts metabolism which leads to better contol outside the usual closed loop that the body normally has. Those that dont understand and / or who have poor contol should not operate machinery at all because poor control can lead to periods of complete loss of control often without warning. Some, self included, however have good control and get plenty of warning when sugar levels are out of wack. The issue is that the difference between 2 people, one who knows when control is out of whack and the other who has no idea is not measurable using diagnostic medicine and as such CASA pressumes that the worst case will be the standard, that is, poor understanding ofdiabetes and no warning of out of control, especially given human propencity to tell doctors what ever they think they need to be told in order to get a wanted outcome....

Regards

Andy

Proven control.

Prior to the late 80's), when if you had say, heart bypass surgery),you understood that you would never get to fly airlines again, but that changed about 1988...

Sometimes that entailed a period as co-pilot (or at least that role was suggested as I suppose it requires that there is less risk of a repercussion, if something goes awry).

The reality is that either pilot should be qualified to fly and land the aircraft if necessary. There is no parallel for this in single pilot private flight though I support the concept of the "spouse" being capable of landing the airtcraft as a desireable extra.. Taking control is more realistic in a plane than in a car after all.

I sympathise with your type I diabetes situation but there is information on flying with diabetes, and I hope there is some progress with it. IF it is controlled in a predictable way and you have a proven track record you would think that some good case could be made.

There was a time when epilepsy barred you from driving but I think that drugs can control that. Good flying. Nev..

IF it is controlled in a predictable way and you have a proven track record you would think that some good case could be made.

This is true, a guy a few years ago took CASA to the administrive appeals tribunal and got his co pilot restriction lifted. also the wording left the door open for a class 1 to be issued, however not for a little while. whilst flying solo with a ppl would be nice, taking Casa to the AAT is a very big decision and requires alot of time and money, so for now i reckon solo in a tecnam (that could be registered VH) is good enough.