Winter's coming so Flight Sim's will be getting a work out!

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

G'day all, well the winter weather is on its way so there's a few plans in the pipeline to get a few things moving along with Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

We're hoping to get everything from downloads and reviews of both freeware and payware aircraft and scenery packages, news updates and online sessions where we can all get together and fly online.

If there's anything else you guys wants to see in regards to Flight Simming, please put forward your ideas and views and we'll do our best to accommodate everyone's needs in getting online.

Watch this space for more!

Cheers

Brett

Guest Brett Campany

X-Plane 9 is supposed to be excellent but you can get "Boot Camp" for your Mac which allows you to run Windows programs like FSX.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mark Mac

Hi Simonflyer,

In answer to your question 'is X-Plane any Chop?'

I have been using it since the 7.0 version, which, given my then machine specifications was a little hard to get enough horsepower to run it properly.

I am now running 9.x (You update it vie the web as each new release comes out - currently 9.3 Beta 7) and it is excellent.

You could perseverewith FS-X all you like, and run a Windows Emulator on your Mac - or you could get X-plane and use the flightsim designed for your platform.

You can flyonline using VATSIM or others.

There is a huge library of add-ons at x-plane.org and others.

It doesn't have missions - except for self generated ones, and other challenges from various users - e.g.'try and land a 707 on a Carrier and see how you go'

What it does do very very well, is allow you to get in an aircraft and fly.

Base Scenery is ok, and there are many user generated photo-realistic ones, as well as one enterprising user who has written an add-on that downloads the current google earth imagery for your area.

Unless you are addicted to missions, I can think of no reason to stay with FS-X.

If you do get X-plane, let me know, I am on the X-plane.org forum as 'Mark Mac'

Regards,

Mark.

X-Plane 7 is great, but I have terrible trouble taking off. I think I need rudder pedals, but once in the air it works like the real thing. I made a Corby Starlet with Plane maker and it flies true to life.

I guess that for those who want to design a plane the Plane Maker would be a big plus. Will have to try it with my occasional 2 seater.