Name Your Plane

If you were to design an aircraft, what would you call it? Since starting my ultralight project, I've toyed with that question on numerous occasions. No doubt you'd want your own name in there somewhere and that can lead to some awkward tongue twisters. To get round my D.W.Mansfield, I've modified my name to DeMansfield and my plane will be the DeMansfield Bolt, as in a short arrow fired by a cross bow, or to run...very fast.

As for a logo, something like this

2124636785_BoltLogo.jpg.fc267f46e5e23cdaf1067f648d20ca22.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Deskpilot, I came up with a couple of designs and named them:-

One low wing alloy 120 knot machine called the LynxII (because the 1st drawing was called the Lynx and I changed the drawing enough to call it the LynxII which is a better looking name).

My other design was a high wing cross between an Aeropup, Supercub & foxbat, a side by side bush plane with heaps of perspex (a compeditor to the Rans S7) called the "Super Gecko" (because the "Gecko" just didn't sound super enough)

It's possible they may never fly.:rotary:

Hi Timm427 (Tim) I'm so happy I'm not the only one to go down this path, or at least, admit to it. I like the name Super Gecko but can't for the life of me, see the connection between aviation and a lizard. Still, who cares, so long as you're happy with it. Have you still got your drawings, if so, can you post them?

I came across a quote yesterday that went something like "Do not follow the path of others, instead go where others have not been and leave a trail" Very applicable to designing something new, and radical.

Deskpilot - The name Super Gecko was a joke between myself and a guy in the U.S. We were talking about planes you could land on short runways and hill sides he said you need something that sticks to the side of the mountain like those geckos you have in Australia that stick to your walls.

Here is a photo showing the 3 views and one of a 3d model I started making for flightsimX (notice some parts such as the horizontal stab and a floor panel missing).

Guest AnGrobler

Hi guys

I love your work.

Tim, what software did you use for your 3D rendering of the Super Gecko? LynxI and LynxII are great names...

Doug, I'm not sure it's necessary to use your own name as part of the plane's name. You could always do something like name it "Crossbolt - by DW Mansfield" or something along that line. But your DeMansfield Crossbolt has quite a nice ring to it.

By the way, I am a Graphic Designer, so if you need a hand with the logo... :)

Cheers

An

Angrobler - Hey thanks for your comments.

Coincidentally I did a mock Nav exercise YMAY - YPOK - YHOT yesterday on flightsimX and YPOK was not there. I had the same trouble with our aerodrome at Wentworth YWTO so I built one.

The software I used for the model is FS Design Studio V3.5.1. It takes some getting used to and even now it would take me a couple of days to get back up to speed (Its been about 9 months since I used it last)

I had an Idea for a logo for the SuperGecko using a gecko similar to the bridgstone gecko wrapped around the name.

Thanks for your comments An, but somehow you've added a 'cross' to bear. Personally I prefer the simple 'Bolt'. I might take you up on your offer for the graphics if, and when, I actually build it.

Tim, like you design, something nostalgic about it. I'll have to have a look at the FS design Studio package. Google SketchUp isn't really intended for modeling mechanical things.

• 2 weeks later...

Its cool to see other people are into A/C design. I've been doing some reseach into it and doing the odd drawing.

Timm427: How much did the FS Design cost?? And where did you get it from?

Deskpilot: As far as names go I think just look at the drawing and think What would go with this then write names under or near it and pick. Thats just my weird way of doing things tho. Hope it helps :big_grin: Do you have any drawings to put up to show us what you've designed?? If you don't mind us asking.

Guest brentc

The underside of the Gecko looks like the Conroy Sparrow that was floating around a couple of years back. I didn't see it at Narromine this year.

Deskpilot: As far as names go I think just look at the drawing and think What would go with this then write names under or near it and pick. Thats just my weird way of doing things tho. Hope it helps :big_grin: Do you have any drawings to put up to show us what you've designed?? If you don't mind us asking.

Skykid, see my design here:http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/general-discussion/23940-design-build-ultralight.html

Still working on it, albeit slowly.

Deskpilot: Man those are some damn good drawings! Can't wait to see the finished thing. :big_grin:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Don't hold your breath my friend, don't hold your breath. I'm the original 'penniless flyer', well almost anyway. She who holds the purse strings, whilst interested in my project, and keen to hear about any replies I get, still insists that it can be a dream only. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif 051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif