Airborne and Airborne Windsports series, bad leading edge alloy advisory

Stemming from the initial investigation into a fatal accident here in NZ a couple of months ago where an Airborne XTS-912 appears to have broken up during cruise the Civil Aviation Authority has issued an alert saying that the aluminium alloy from which the wing leading edge spar was manufactured, may not have met the required material specifications.

Here is the letter from the CAA: http://www.caa.govt.nz/Airworthiness_Directives/Emergency_Airworthiness_Directives/Airworthiness_Investigation_Airborne%20XTS.pdf

This aircraft was I believe less than a year old, but being used in a commercial sightseeing operation may have done a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi.. whilst in NZ recently we visited Alex & Charles flight centre the day before the tragic accident. A true gentleman and obviously a very capable pilot who I hold in high regard for their attempt to operate commercially.

Many years ago I had strong vision for us to do the same here in Aus...but with so many accidents and fatalities it won't happen in my time.

Its never over til the Coronial/CAA investigation is complete..then we may have some answers...! I do hope greatly the NZCAA have strong un-bias investigative powers to provide transparent accurate results of the structural nature and cause of the accident.

Our regards for his wife, two daughters of Alex and the Dutch tourists loved ones.. we can pray for their santuary of peace in their tragic loss.

Smooth flights

Chris

• 5 months later...