Flying to Queensland

Guest Bob

Hi

I fly a tecnam in WA and are planning a trip to Queensland Via exmouth -broome - darwin - mackay.

Has anyone else done that trip , I would appreciated any advice as to airstrips , fuel etc.

The trip is planned for July

Bob:help:

Guest Maj Millard

Happy to assist you on the Darwin-Mackay portion with landing spot details etc. can you be more specific as to your actual route if you've got that far yet ? A couple of different route possibilities thru these parts, depending on if you want to go North coastal through the gulf country or cut through the inland via Mt Isa etc to townsville. You would miss out on a lot of the Northern tropics and the Cape if you did this, but you could stage out of Townsville and do trips up North from there if you wanted to. I'm sure FARRI will jump in, and if your lucky, he may suggest you drop in at Deeral which is in the cane country just South of Cairns. Cheers.................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Happy to assist you on the Darwin-Mackay portion with landing spot details etc. can you be more specific as to your actual route if you've got that far yet ? A couple of different route possibilities thru these parts, depending on if you want to go North coastal through the gulf country or cut through the inland via Mt Isa etc to townsville. You would miss out on a lot of the Northern tropics and the Cape if you did this, but you could stage out of Townsville and do trips up North from there if you wanted to. I'm sure FARRI will jump in, and if your lucky, he may suggest you drop in at Deeral which is in the cane country just South of Cairns. Cheers.................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi

Thanks for the reply, its the piece from Darwin to Brisbane that I am not sure of .

If you have done the north coastal , would it be possible to let me know what route you took .

Thanks Bob:juggle:

Guest Maj Millard

Well Bob, From Darwin you could go Darwin, Jabaru, Hells Gate, Normanton, Georgetown, Mareeba, Farri's place just South of cairns, then suit yourself down the East coast. Darwin to Mareeba is through pretty remote but senic gulf type country and is worth seeing.

Or if you wanted to see more inland dry type country go Darwin, Katherine, Daly waters, Camooweal, Cloncurry, Julia Creek, Hughenden, Charters Towers, Townsville, then down the East Coast.

Both are fine but I would take the gulf route especially if you like remote type camping a bit off the beaten track.

From Townsville or Cairns to Brisbane you've got good stops all the way down the coast, with easy facilities, and plenty of people on this forum to drop into.

Or if you wanted to see more inland dry type country go Darwin, Katherine, Camooweal, Daly Waters, Cloncurry, Julia Creek, Hughenden, Charters Towers, Townsville, then down the East Coast.

Hey Maj,it may make the trip a bit shorter if you went to Daly Waters before Camooweal:laugh:.Cheers mate.

Yes Roger that.................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj

That was what I wanted to know now I will work out a flight plan . As of yet I do not have any maps for that area . I will pick up the extra maps on monday from jandakot and now complete the route that I intend to take. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Bob

PS Have you done the trip across the centre through Alice springs to Laverton in WA:rotary:

Guest Maj Millard

Anytime Bob, I'll look foward to seeing you in this area and maybe flying a leg or two with you. Cheers Ross ...........................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif