PPL @ Wagga

Hi

Have completed RAA cert at Temora and looking to move onto PPL. Nearest PPL FTF is Wagga Air Centre. I have had a brief conversation with the FTF and it sounds like they want me to do 2/3 of the PPL syllabus even with RAA + Nav. ie 15hrs GFPT and most of the PPL navex.

I dont mind having to meet the required standard but by the same token I dont like giving away $$ they are hard to come by.

Anybody had any experience with this FTF? Other options are Canberra or Albury.

Any comments welcome.

Scott

Im not sure of the operations there at Temora, but it doesnt sound quite right and really it should come down to your skills which they obviously havent seen yet..

Im doing exactly the same thing at the moment but am lucky enough to have done my RA stuff at the same school, so they are clear on my strenghts and weaknesses..

There are several factors that could change things

First up, did your RA training work pretty closely to the GA Syllabus? because if it did, then it will be a much easier transition for you.If the CFI can look in your logbook and see a very similar training program to what they run, then they may may feel it will take less time, but if they think large chunks are missing, then theyll assume it'll take a bit longer to get you there.

How many hours have you done RA all up?? because they all count towards your GA flying, and there are minimums that need to be reached which i cant recall right now(you will need 2 hours instrument time for GFPT)..

You will need to sit your GFPT, and i have just done that transition, and it took me about 8 hours(not including the test-I also wanted to do a bit of solo-ing)..I have heard of people doing it quicker but for me the time consuming thing was getting familiar with the GA plane itself(i went form a high wing Tecnam to a low wing Piper archer which was a bit of a change.)

I enjoyed doing most of the flying syllabus again all be it brief, as i just feel so much more assured of engine failures and other emergency situations, and i doubt there any such thing as too much training for that kind of stuff.

I think overall GA planes are easier to fly than any of the RA planes, and apparently us as RA pilots need to be very good "stick and rudder" pilots due to the lack of inertia in teccy's, jab's, drifters and the like whereas once you set a piper or cessna on course it pretty much sits there..:thumb_up:The only thing is there is a bit more to them inside, and it is a real help if you know what youre gonna be flying so as you can look at checklists/speeds etc and do the work before you fly at all.

As far as the PPL bit goes..well you can make some decisions there..If you dont want a CTA then it will save you a bit of cash, and really if you are a confident nav'er then it really shoudnt take more than a few flights..The main thing is to get all your theory done asap, because that will hold you back if its not done, and my last tip is train up to a point where you can sit the licence and sit it very soon thereafter.try not to leave large gaps between prepping for a test and doing it because ive experienced going backward due to gaps of time between things, and its frustrating and expensive:confused:

Good luck:thumb_up:

Look in the RAAus mag,get the number for Lachlan Valley Flight Centre in Forbes.Give the CFI a call.He does RAAus and GA.The club has a C152 and Piper Archer on line for what you're after and C182 and Foxbat also.Prices are very competitive,several Sydney people have been training here.You don't have to do GFPT to convert as has been stated in several posts on this forum.There are 2 GA instructors so you could pretty much go full time if you want.Less than 2 hour drive from Temora.No traffic,no landing fees.

• 8 months later...

I'll be taking a TIF in the Eurofox sometime this January at Wangaratta Flight Training Centre/ Wang Aero Club (Dont really know the difference :P). I like to hear "no airways or landing fees and you dont spend half your time waiting on the taxi way", more time in the air ;D