Radio/Gps Interference

bruce01

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? My Garmin 196 is causing interference with my radio. When my gps is on I get a constant 1 second static pulse ( best way I can describe it ) about a second apart. Turn the gps off, radio is clear. I am running an icom handheld on a trike. Have tried a dipole on the king post and a rubber hand held ariel mounted under the trike. With the dipole it isn't as bad but is still there. Takes nearly full squelch to remove it. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

Bruce.

Guest pelorus32

It's interesting that the pulse is at 1 second interval. From memory this is the interval between position updates on the 196. I wonder why that should be causing this interference though?

I hope someone can tell you how to get rid of it.

Regards

Mike

I have heard that the noise from a GPS is because it has a computer in it. Would it be possible to shield the GPS from the radio. I solved the problem with mine when I ran a handheld by ensuring the radio aerial was vertical.

Bruce,

Are you running the GPS off batteries (with no power cable connected) or are you powering it from the aircraft with power cable? Does the problem exist in both power situations? If so, can you borrow a different 196 and see if the problem still persists?

Thanks for the imput guys. This is what I have found so far. I have also run the gps on batteries as well as hard wired to the trike to eliminate it being a power source problem. With a dipole mounted and insulated on the kingpost instead of the hand held ariel mounted underneath the trike improved the situation somewhat and required less squelch but the static was still there. With the the dipole completely earthed to the trike, static gone. With the trike in the hangar and the wing down I can receive the weather station from the airport 5 kms away.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Guest mike_perth

My N95 causes the same "blip" when I use it to track my flights only in one of the two Piper Tomahawks I fly though! Certainly shouldnt but it does

Guest brentc

I get static from the 296 but only when using the external (large) aerial. Are you using the one on the back or the one on the lead?