Head of the Bight

JG3

Sitting at Nullarbor Roadhouse, with good signal on Next G.

Left Inglewood Monday morning and got to Cameron Corner with fine tailwinds all the way. Next day on over Lake Eyre, first time I've seen it with water. Stopped at William Creek - the thinnest steak in a steak sandwich ever. I didn't have a micrometer, but am fairly used to eyeballing sheet metal, and I reckon it was difinetly less than 3mm! Must have been sliced with a bacon slicer..... A night out in the bush, then on to Eucla, just over the WA border, for last night. 1400nm in 17hrs with good tailwinds all the way. This morning flying those magnificent cliffs. And dodging showers. Had to land out twice to let them pass, once on a roadside rest area and once on a patch cleared by a grader many years ago. Sure is good to have a STOL aircraft with good tyres. No whales yet. Will tell more and send more photos from Pt Lincoln.

This is just you get you envious and start you making your own preparations for a flying/camping adventure. The season is now here, don't miss it!

JohnG

ps- Mark just showed me how to add these photos, and more photos and story will be on my website soon.

1644842785_BeachfrontL_Eyre.JPG.884a745261b1b83d6224eabb1807eab1.JPG

1629008597_CampedatEuclaWA.JPG.b99d44b606134b7d5a911aafbb5af684.JPG

335648829_CliffsalongtheNullarbor.jpg.5b51fd12fa41ee8778465731c8d7c26c.jpg

2104018365_LakeEyrewithwater.JPG.6b118c85ba473bf74e5fffd4f5716e69.JPG

730838512_CameronCornerandfencesSAtotheleftQldupperrightNSWlowerrightairstripatbottom.JPG.8ddb1031a989a98504e98f7b1c6a8812.JPG

• 2 months later...

Savannah

Hi,

It was great to read about your trip, it sounded great. I am looking at getting a savannah widebody in the next few months, any feedback on yours would be greatly appreciated.

I'm probably going to assist with the build and ensure it has the extended luggage area and long range fuel tanks.

regards Jeff White

Gday Jeff,

Don't know that I can add much feedback. I find the Savannah to be just perfect for this sort of x-country travel. Enough cruise speed and efficiency, and very good short strip capability. Very stable hands-off flight for map reading, etc. I'd hardly change anything.

Extended baggage compart yes. Extended fuel tanks handy in some cases, but not essential. As I travel solo, a couple of jerrry cans on the pax seat do just as well.

The dinky little tyres that are standard need to be replaced. I don't like the Turf tyres that are offered as an option - very thin and punture prone.... Much better are 6.00x6 proper aircraft tyres, real 6-ply. They fit the original rims and original front fork. A bit heavier, but not as wide as the Turf, so no loss in cruise speed.

I don't know if the factory has upgraded the front axle yet, but if not, we drill it out to fit a 10mm stainless bolt all the way through.

You'll really enjoy a Savannah!

JG