"Just Landed"

Guest jetsetkiwi

Guest jetsetkiwi

Gidday Guys,

Newbie to the forums. Looking to start my PPL training quite soon at YBAF. Avid Aviation fanatic, and this forum looked like a great place to get some answers to my questions before I begin!

Cheers,

G'day Jetsetkiwi and welcome to the forums...:thumb_up:

Ask away, there's plenty of good help around the forums, just don't get a fright about how quick you'll get an answer:big_grin:

I'm currently training at Dalby, I've got about 3.5hrs of solo flying before I can go for my recreational license, so pretty good feeling it is:thumb_up:

Have fun,

Welcome jetset kiwi,

I thought Kiwis couldnt fly??

Hold on, they must be able because I`m a Kiwi too.

Get familiar with the site and fire in those questions on the appropriate forum and you will get answers and more.

What aircraft are you wanting to fly?

What is your short & long term flying goal?

What has been your flying dreams.

Kia Ora

Guest jetsetkiwi

Gidday Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

In response to your questions, Skydog.

Im currently looking at Sunland Aviation at YBAF, and flying the Cirrus SR20. The club also has a C172. Does anybody have any opinions on which aircraft I should train in? I really like the Cirrus, as do many people, but im sure the classic 172 would do a fantastic job.

For now, Im looking to complete my PPL, but my long term goal is to become a Commercial Pilot. I have already investigated my options in that field, and will probably return to New Zealand to finish of my CPL training and commence my employment (If I can find some work!).

Flying Dreams. Well, Ive wanted to fly since I can remember. First climbed in the cockpit of ZK-DOT at age 10. I couldnt even see over the Warrior's dashboard, but it was fantastic! So yes, as mentioned above, a commercial pilot. Flying anything thats really, really big. :)

Jetsetkiwi,

My choice of aircraft for training is more influenced by the cost and bang for buck and the desired outcome.

Cirrus is an exceptional plane , fast and thirsty therefore expensive to hire especially with an instructor on board., the 172 would be very adequate for the first 20 hours or maybe 40. 172 flys slower but it is hours that you want to gather is it not?

Best to find a plane with some "glass" instruments as this will aid your transition into twins and commercial flying.

To get cheap flying and hours in the log book most people in your mindset get their commercial and instructors license to instruct budding PPl`s . Sounds sensible doesnt it.

You can start flying in Recreational aircraft such as ultralights which is 25% cheaper again than GA planes. All hours count to CPL and it is said if you can fly and land a Jabiru well you will be a better than average pilot.

All the best

Guest jetsetkiwi

Im not too sure about the recreational side of things. I've read that it is indeed very inexpensive, but if your final goal is heavy, fixed wing aircraft, it will eventually cost you a lot more. Is this true?

Thats the only thing thats setting me back from the SR20. If its a similar price, I'll probably go with that, but if its a lot more, I think I'll have to proceed with the 172. Im happy to fly the 172, in fact a lot happier to fly it compared to the 152, but I'll sure miss the PA-38 I already have a few hours in.

Any ideas on what I might need re equipment wise? I've currently been looking at headsets, but thats about all I really know. Im sure I wont need much straight up, but I thought getting a good headset (not for just now, but future training) would be a reasonable investment. A nice $400 DC should last me a fair while, wouldn't you think? Or am I thinking too far ahead..

The Cirrus will cost a lot more than a 172 to hire for sure like about 50% more plus it flies so fast the plane will "get ahead of your current skills" especially in a cross country nav.PA28 cruise 105kts, Cirrus 160kts.

Rec flying just means its cheaper to get the basic hours up eg if it takes 40 hrs to get a PPL then 35 of those hours can be done in a Rec plane at about 40% less cost than a GA. The last few hours 5 actually you can do a transition to a 172 whatever.

Savings of about 2000 dollars. Buys you a nice headset and GPS!

Best ypou go talk to at least 3 flying schools and make sure at least one Rec flying school discussing transition to GA and a CPL.

As I said flying a JABIRU, well landing it, is twice as hard as a 172 and 3 times harder than a PA28.