used 582 blue top

Bluey

Hi all;

I have a well used and looked after 582 blue top that has attracted a buyer. The engine is 580 hours old since its last overhaul. Does around 8 hours of flying a week and has never been left lying around without regular ground running. The engine had a top end overhaul about 80 hours ago which involved replacing the o rings and head gaskit. There is a very very slight leak in the corner of the front o ring that appears as the slightest evidence of a weep visible only after more than 4 hours of flight. This has not at all detereorated in the last 30 hours since it was detected and there is no evidence what so ever of any oil contamination in the coolant fluid. Cyclone bearing tests conducted on the engine indicate no wear as the testing reveals 0.035mm (front) and 0.04mm (rear). These results have remained stable and testing takes place every 7 to 8 hours of use. The engine has been used exclusively in microlight and typically is flown solo. In this configuration it revs at about 4500rpm (level flight)and burns between 7 to 8 litres per hour. Two up, it revs to 4900 - 5000 burning 11 - 13 litres per hour.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this engine is worth as neither myself nor the buyer have a clue? I am not looking to rip anyone off.

Regards: Bluey.

Gday Bluey,

Thats a hard one to work out how much it is worth, basically it is worth as much as he is willing to pay for it and as much as you are willing to sell it for.

I think you need to have a figure in your head for what you want for it and see what he is willing to pay for it and see how close he is to the figure.

I saw in a mag awhile back a 912 with not a lot of hrs on it for 13 grand, new they are close to 30 grand i believe, this one had less than 200hrs on it and was under half price of a new one.

I think a new blue top 582 is around 6 grand so depending on the total hrs it has run including any overhauls a figure somewhere between 1 and 2 grand may be what you will be able to get for it, mind you that is only my opinion.

Cheers

Alf