Planning a trip to Lake Eyre (from Perth)

A seed has been planted, and I'm thinking of a trip to Lake Eyre, from Perth, mid to late July, in a J230.

For those of you who've done the trip (or are local), what route would you plan from Forrest (no HF radio, so I'd want to keep close to civilization!), and where's the best place to base myself for Lake Eyre (William Creek?)

Have had a bit of a read on the Woomera Restricted Airspace (don't have the appropriate WAC to hand as yet). If it were active at the time, is it reasonably easy to get authorisation to transit (either to follow the railway north from Tarcoola, or the road from Woomera) up to Coober Pedy, and then across to Williams Creek?

Cheers

Alexis.

Guest brentc

PM me if you need info on what to do and where to stay when you get there. One of our commercial guys is there at the moment with Airvan and R44 and I can put you in touch with him if you want.

Guest brentc

Just spoke to our man on the ground there. Our fuel is being trailered in from Parafield from Stark Aviation. If you need more info let me know as some advance planning might be required for you to get some.

Guest rxbrumby

I would recomend staying at the Marree Hotel, excelent food and service and there is a pool for cooling of in if its hot. You get breakfast for free there also.

Your pilot in the airvan wouldnt happen to be called maverick? If he is one of your pilots, he is very helpful. He gave us a lift from the airstrip into town and back a coulpe of times. You can get fuel at William Creek its $2.50 litre. If you carry fuel containers you can get mogas at Marree and Leigh Creek if you dont mind a bit of a walk. I managed to get a lift in and out of Leigh Creek as most locals in country towns are very helpful. I also stayed in a cabin at Leigh Creek, It had a/c and tv and reasonable Kitchen to cook in. You can also get fuel at Whyalla but you need an asic card. There is also a self serve avgas bowser at port pirie. If you are gowing to land at William creek I would also think about removing any wheel spats if you have them, as the runway is quite rocky and sandy. If you want any more info feel free to ask I was only up there at the end of April, Ther are some pictures of my trip in the photo gallery.

Cheers

Scott