Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About flyinghigh

  • Rank
    Student Mentor
  1. Which NPRM document is this in (am curious)? Was aware of upper airspace changes, but missed that one.
  2. The wording on CASA's website is "They should have a screen approximately A5 therefore, have a screen size of at least A5 i.e. 210 x 148 mm; 8.3 x 5.8 in. A PDA can only be used for calculations". Kinda interesting that it says "should", not "must". So, definitely a little grey around whether the iPad Mini is suitable (device size is 200 x 134 mm - screen is less than that).
  3. Ha! My RV3 has a bullet hole through the left flap and into the fuse (behind the seat). For some reason, it was shortly after that incident that the original builder sold it!
  4. A member of the Beverly Soaring Society, Alfred Rosche. He was attending the wave camp being held at the Stirling Ranges.
  5. You could start with a general read through the safety articles on VAF: http://www.vansairforce.net/safety.htm (and search through the VAF forums as already suggested). There's a book about it: http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Testing-Homebuilt-Aircraft-Vaughan/dp/0813813085 ; probably more than one! The SAAA publish a "Flight Test Guide" (provided with their CofA kit, but possibly also available by purchase). And of course Google can refer you to many many other articles, some of which are worth reading. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself: am I actually the right person to conduct t
  6. Sorry to hear that you're struggling to get anywhere with the training. The basic inference being made here is that training in an experimental (19- reg) is not permitted unless it's your own aircraft. There may be other circumstances where it's ok, but basically an aircraft used for flight training must be 24- registered (for more modern types) and maintained by a L2 engineer.
  7. Different airstrips, different rules. Moorabbin seems to charge a daily rate (which I guess means do as much as you like for the day). Jandakot (WA) has landing AND touch & go fees. Check ERSA and websites for aerodromes to work it out. If only a landing fee is listed, usually you only pay for the full-stop. If there is any confusion in the information provided, contact the AD operator by phone for clarification.
  8. As far as I can tell, the Sonex is a kit-build aircraft. You're therefore not going to find an official flight manual anywhere, as it's up to the builder to develop the manual themselves. If you search through Sonex forums or mailing lists, you may come across someone who's willing to share. Is said aircraft a 19- reg?
  9. Yes, thought of that later, didn't get a chance to edit my post. Doesn't really matter though ... let's just hope the chap pulls through.
  10. Am hoping the comment in the above newspaper is incorrect, "It was his first solo flight". In a 19- reg? Regardless, heres hoping for a full recovery.
  11. Simple answer: no. You're an RAAus licensed pilot, flying in a GA aircraft. You are not licensed to fly that aircraft. Sure, if it was a GA instructional flight, and the flight was logged out as such, then yes, it would be dual. But that it the only time you could log it dual. In RAAus, there is only ever one PIC. You cannot share or swap PIC duties during a flight: the person who signs out the aircraft at the start of the flight must remain PIC for the duration. If you are 'sharing' an aircraft, the only way two people can both log hours is for first person to fly to destination, then
  12. Anyone in Perth interested in RV12 group build? Just to throw the idea out there -- anyone in Perth (northern suburbs ideally) interested in a group build of an RV12? PM me if so!
  13. I doubt that the intention is to allow operations or training in Class C here. I would have thought that as there is no CTA endorsement currently available in RAAus, you are only being exempted for operations and training in/out of Jandakot (Class D) airspace, including solo student flight. There may be some Class C operations training, but at the end of the day, the sticker only covers you for operations in the school aircraft, which is quite limiting. Regards transponder, the exemption states it must be calibrated per regulations. I wish these guys every success at Jandakot, they are
  14. Rates are pretty-much on a per-school individual basis. If you instruct casually, it won't be huge: me, I do it for the experience and find it a great way to keep current and share my love of flying, the money doesn't really come into it.
  15. This is a very general statement, unless you're aware of the school that OP is referring to. There are a number of schools that DO NOT insure aircraft, and unless you've signed an agreement that says otherwise, damage to the aircraft when solo may well be your responsibility to repair. Also, just because an aircraft is insured, do not assume that you are responsible only for the excess: I've heard stories where the aircraft owner demanded significantly more than the excess to be paid, in order to cover loss of future no-claim bonus etc. Back to the OP's question: ask your school what the
  • Create New...